A week after her tummy tuck last June, a Rockville mother of two was on Zoom for her companys annual meeting. Susan (not her real name) was still on pain medications and couldnt stand upright, but she felt well enough to turn on her camera and participate. Luckily, we were looking at hundreds of spreadsheets and there were 30 of us, so no big screens, she says. No one from her office knew she was lying in bed in her pajamas. That whole week was a black hole.
Susan, 41, had been planning to have a tummy tuck long before the pandemic arrived. She started interviewing surgeons in January 2020, two months before the countys temporary ban on elective procedures. When her office went remote, she used the time to set up a second round of consultationsthis time virtually. She wanted to have surgery as soon as restrictions were lifted because working from home would allow for a more discreet recovery. But with all the unknowns surrounding COVID-19, and the curve of cases not yet flattening, she and her husband wanted to know if doctors thought it was safe.
If it was your wife who wanted the surgery, she asked Rockville plastic surgeon Adam Tattelbaum, what would you tell her to do? The doctor said hed probably tell his wife to wait six months and see what happens with the pandemic. I appreciated his honesty, Susan says. But the timing worked so well for her that she ignored his advice and scheduled the surgery as soon as his office started booking again.
Pre-COVID, Id have taken a week or two off work, then my husband would have had to drive me to and from my office, like 35 minutes away, Susan says. Plus, I was walking funny for at least a month and I had to wear this binderthis corsetunder my clothes. It would have been hard to figure out what to wear that didnt make it obvious.
At the start of the stay-at-home order, Tattelbaum, 58, worried that his practice might not survive. He knew the countys ban would eventually be lifted, but says, I kept thinking, Who is going to want to have [plastic] surgery in the middle of a pandemic? When he reopened in May 2020 and his calendar started to fill up again, he assumed it was mostly the backlog of patients who had to be rescheduled. But then, people just kept booking and booking, he says. Everyone kept saying, I know theres COVID out there, but this is a really good time for me to get surgery.
For two decades, the most common thing patients asked him was, How long before I can be back at work? Now, he says, the number one question is: How long until I can be on my computer?
Dr. Jennifer Parker Porter, owner of Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgery, says the word Zoom now comes up in 80% of her patient consultations. Shes heard from so many people fretting about how they look on the computer screen that shes started to give advice about camera angles and lighting. Elevate your screens so you arent looking down, she recommends, and lean your body forward so your neck is stretched a bit. There are things they can do to optimize, she says.
Since the pandemic, Porter, 56, has been doing all her initial consults virtually. Shes getting twice as many inquiries as she did before COVID, and far fewer no-shows and last-minute cancellations. Normally, about 95% of her patients are women, but more men have been reaching out, toosaying that when they see themselves on video calls they look tired or their noses look big. Noses always look bigger on camera, Porter says.
In early 2020, shed signed on to have another surgeon join her practice. When he started in July, she worried there wouldnt be enough business to keep them both busy. Now their schedules are booked three months out, and shes added an extra day a week for surgeries to meet demand. As in pre-pandemic days, a lot of patients are asking for nose jobs, called rhinoplasties, and face-lifts, but Porter is seeing an uptick in requests by men and women for eyelid surgery, known as blepharoplasty. Its all about the eye, she says, because thats all anyone sees now if you are out and about and wearing a mask.
Tattelbaum says he believes the boom in cosmetic procedures is more about patients having time to recover. I do a great deal of tummy tucks and, boy, have we seen a lot of them in the past few months, he says. I think most people who come in for plastic surgery have been thinking about it for years.
Rockville plastic surgeon Joseph Michaels says the biggest spike hes seeing is among patients in their 30s through 50s, including a lot of federal workers and teachers. Its not just [their own] schedule that theyre considering, he says. These days, both husbands and wives are more likely to be working from home, so theres someone around to help during their recovery.
Michaels, 48, performs a lot of body-focused surgeries, like skin tightening after weight loss. Hes seen fewer older patients coming to the officeeither for major surgeries or nonsurgical procedures like neck-tightening treatments and Botoxand thinks many people over 60 feel more at risk being in public. But among middle-aged patients, hes seen a rise in everything. Im hearing a lot of complaints about the neck, he says.
With social distancing guidelines requiring doctors to limit the number of patients and staff in their facilities, many local cosmetic surgeons have added early morning, evening and Saturday shifts to their schedules. Since last spring, Tattelbaum is only going into the office for consults one day a week so he doesnt overlap with other doctors. Michaels isnt performing any proceduresurgical or otherwisethat requires patients to remove their masks unless theyve had a COVID test 72 hours in advance. Theres been some gentle pushback, he says, but most patients are happy to comply. They know its helping keep everyone safe.
Dean Jabs, a plastic surgeon in Bethesda, has hired two additional staff members since reopening in May 2020. Hes speaking with Bethesda Magazine from one of his exam rooms while his new surgical technician, Andrea, cuts his hair. She used to be a hair stylist. Just as long as I dont look like Bozo, he tells her as she clips. Its almost 6 p.m., and Jabs is volleying between Andreas comments about how much to trim and a reporters questions about his long hours. Im 67 years old and working 12-hour days, he says.
A partner at Cosmetic Surgery Associates, Jabs is now running two surgical shifts, one around 6 a.m. and another four hours later. His office used to close by 5:30 each evening, but now hes often there until 6:30 or 7. Though hes trying to keep weekend shifts to a minimum, he says, The joke around the office is that we only operate on days that end in a Y.
Jabs does a lot of breast augmentations and face-lifts. But women arent the only ones coming for proceduresabout 20% of his patients are men. He recently treated a 20-year-old with gynecomastia, the medical term for an enlargement of breast tissue in males. The man says it made him look like he had breasts. He started noticing the condition when he was about 13, and it embarrassed him so much throughout middle school and high school that hed position his backpack so the straps would cover his chest to make it look flatter. He works out a lot, but says no matter how much he exercised, the problem didnt go away. While his gym was closed for COVID, he had a male breast reduction.
Its one of those things where people are saying, Ive thought about liposuction, Ive thought about a breast augmentation, Ive thought about doing my eyelids or my face, and theyve had time now to sit at home, and theyve got some money, and its like, well, I might as well spend a little bit on me, Jabs says. Plus, I think people need a little pick-me-up.
Forty-year-old Heather Shapiro had just started a new job when the pandemic hit. The mid-Atlantic sales director of a wine company had more important things on her mind than cosmetic surgery. But by Augustwith COVID showing no sign of abating and customer visits a thing of the pastshe decided to have a nose job. Shed thought about having the procedure over the years but never had time to give it serious consideration. It was an easy decision, she says, especially with her ability to mask the recovery.
Shapiro set up a consultation with Philip Schoenfeld, owner of Renu by Dr. Schoenfeld, in Chevy Chase, and booked her procedure with him for late December. In normal times, she says, right after the Christmas holiday, the expectation would be that Id be back in accounts, seeing customers and showing wine, and were just not doing that right now. Shapiro, who moved from Rockville to Northwest D.C. a few years ago, says, I took a hard look and said its a great time for some real self-care.
When the stay-at-home order was issued, Schoenfeld, 58, started playing the guitar againand used the downtime to expand his social media presence. His two twentysomething kids had come home at the start of the pandemic, and his daughter helped him navigate the online platforms and post videos about his practice and cosmetic procedures hes performed. Within weeks, he says his Instagram and Facebook pages, and his website, were flooded with inquiries. It was very clear that this was a themeit wasnt just a flash in the panand its still going to this day, he says.
Schoenfeld says the pandemic has been the perfect storm for cosmetic surgeons. Up until a year ago, nobody saw themselves on Zoom before, he says. Theyre not going out to dinner, theyre not going on trips, theyre not doing things they normally do. He says even traditionally slower months for plastic surgery, like January and February, werent slow this year.
Im doing nose jobs on people [in January] who normally would have waited for the summer, he says. Now [theyre] working from home, [they can have] surgery on a Thursday or a Friday and take one sick day rather than one or two weeks off. Its changed the dynamic of getting surgery.
Sabrina Yescas, 22, a senior at Saint Josephs University in Philadelphia, took advantage of her schools extended winter break for her rhinoplasty. She had a consultation with Schoenfeld last summer, when she was back home in Kensington, and scheduled surgery for this past January. We had an extra week of winter break instead of spring break, she says, which gave her more recovery time. You dont feel like youre missing outthere were no social things to look forward to.
For Christine (not her real name), a 56-year-old who lives in Darnestown, the journey toward cosmetic surgery started 11 years ago. An ambitious corporate executive, she began noticing that people in her office in their mid-30s were being positioned for higher level jobs she was in line for. I was always in the potential succession plan to sit at the C-suite table, she says. At 45, she says those in upper management essentially told her she wasnt really high potential anymore. Shed been at the company for 25 years, rising through the ranks to become a vice president. She had hoped to take on more responsibilities and eventually land a senior vice president role if and when it became available. I still had the capability, commitment and aspiration I always had, she says. What had changed was my age.
Christine was so stunned to learn that she was being passed over that she changed jobs, changed companies, changed industries, she says. Now a vice president at a different company, the doctoral candidate and mother of three used her time working from home during the pandemic to see Jabs for a lower face and neck lift. She had the procedure last November, when shed normally be hosting holiday dinners. I didnt do it to look cute or pretty, she says. I did it to stay relevant.
On the surface, Christine says, most organizations know that many women today choose to work well past their 50s and that companies cant discriminate based on age, but when you hit 55 to 65, people are just thinking, Wow, when are you retiring? And a lot of women 55 today dont want to retire anytime soonin fact, theyre smarter, theyre better, they are stronger than ever before. But theres still a judgment.
Christine says she doesnt want to look older than she feels, and she doesnt want to give off the vibe that shes close to retirement when she isnt. Four months later, she only has one complaint about her procedure: I wish they wouldnt call it plastic surgery, she says. I think they should call it generational rejuvenation.
Amy Halpern is a journalist who has worked in print and television news, and as the associate producer of an Emmy award-winning documentary. She lives in Potomac.
See the article here:
Bethesda-area plastic surgery has been on the rise during the pandemic - BethesdaMagazine.com
- Opinion | The Potentially Deadly Pursuit of Muscle Mass - Medpage Today - May 1st, 2022
- 5 eye rejuvenation treatments that work - The Georgia Straight - April 18th, 2022
- This Is the Most Common Plastic Surgery Procedure Among Millennials - Yahoo Life - March 25th, 2022
- Lower Blepharoplasty: Things You Need to Know About Lower ... - January 21st, 2022
- Do You Want To Get A Foxy Eyes Lift? Read This Before Making The Decision - South Florida Caribbean News - January 21st, 2022
- Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty Overview: Cost, Recovery ... - December 25th, 2021
- Americans Spent $8.7 Billion on Aesthetic Plastic Surgery in First Half of 2021 - happi.com - December 25th, 2021
- The advantages of travelling to Toronto for a Blepharoplasty - mtltimes.ca - December 25th, 2021
- Is screen time really causing your dark circles? - Metro - November 25th, 2021
- Best Blepharoplasty in New York City Lara Devgan, MD ... - November 25th, 2021
- Cosmetic Oculoplastic Surgeon NYC | Blepharoplasty - Dr ... - November 10th, 2021
- Blepharoplasty - Top Plastic Surgeon New York | Dr. John E ... - November 10th, 2021
- Lower Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery) - October 30th, 2021
- Everything you need to know about Eye Lift/Blepharoplasty ... - October 30th, 2021
- Blepharoplasty Treatment Market 2021, Global Industry Size, Share, Analysis, Trends, Overview and Segmentation 2026 - Northwest Diamond Notes - October 30th, 2021
- Coming Soon to Acclaimed AVIE! Medspa in Leesburg, VA: BBL HERO, a Revolutionary New Technology For Correcting Hyperpigmentation and Signs of Aging -... - September 2nd, 2021
- Medical Aesthetics Market Report Highlights The Competitive Scenario With Impact Of Drivers And Challenges 2027 UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel... - September 2nd, 2021
- Eyelid Surgery: Plastic Surgery | Cleveland Clinic - August 21st, 2021
- Surgical and Non-Surgical Eyelid Rejuvenation Options Now Provided By Dr. Robert W. Sheffield Provided For Sagging Eyelids and Hollowness of The Eye... - August 21st, 2021
- Dr. Kristina Zakhary selected as Top Rhinoplasty & Facial Surgeon of the Year by IAOTP - Digital Journal - August 8th, 2021
- Cosmetic Surgery Demand Is On Rise Amidst Covid-19 Pandemic: The Reasons Behind Wont Surprise You - TheHealthSite - July 24th, 2021
- Bride-to-be spends ten times the price of her wedding dress on cosmetic surgery - Gloucestershire Live - July 9th, 2021
- Bride-to-be splashes out 2.3k on cosmetic surgery - and 200 on the dress - Stoke-on-Trent Live - July 9th, 2021
- Treatment of wound healing with sequential therapy | CCID - Dove Medical Press - July 9th, 2021
- Global Blepharoplasty Market 2020 Trending Research Report | Advance Medical Systems Inc, Luminera Derm Ltd, GTG Wellness Sdn, ThermiGen LLC The... - June 12th, 2021
- Eyelid Surgery Market 2021 | Industry Brief Analysis by Top Countries Data with Market Size, Growth Drivers, Investment Opportunity and Projected Huge... - June 12th, 2021
- The Pandemic Prompted Men to Get Aesthetic Treatmentsand Here's Exactly What They're Having Done - NewBeauty Magazine - June 12th, 2021
- Blepharoplasty Market to Witness Notable Growth by 2026 Covid-19 Analysis KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - June 12th, 2021
- Global Blepharoplasty Treatment Market Research Report, Growth Trends and Competitive Analysis 2021-2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 31st, 2021
- Bio-pharma Market is Predicted to See Lucrative Gains Over 2021-2027 Covid-19 Analysis The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 31st, 2021
- 'Botched' Season 7: Air time, how to live stream, plot, cast and all you need to know about the E! reality sh - MEAWW - May 19th, 2021
- 6 Innovations to Know About From 2021's Biggest Aesthetic Meeting - NewBeauty Magazine - May 6th, 2021
- These Are The Highest Paid Doctors In America - 24/7 Wall St. - April 22nd, 2021
- Doc Groups Object to New Prior Authorization Rules in Medicare - MedPage Today - April 22nd, 2021
- Global Blepharoplasty Market Trigger Industry Growth In The Coming Years KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - April 5th, 2021
- Blepharoplasty Market Technology Growth, Supply Demand and Analysis by Types 2020-2026 The Courier - The Courier - April 5th, 2021
- I've Had Dark Circles All My Life, and These Are the Only Products That Work - Yahoo Eurosport UK - April 5th, 2021
- Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty) Recovery Timeline - March 9th, 2021
- Price transparency and staying competitive - Medical Economics - March 9th, 2021
- Top Most Read 2020: Blepharoplasty Market Future Demand and Leading Players Updates by Forecast to 2026 The Courier - The Courier - February 17th, 2021
- What Procedure Is Going To Get You The Fox Eye Look According To Our Experts At the Naderi Center - PR Web - February 17th, 2021
- Everything A Plastic Surgeon Wants You to Know About Eyelid Rejuvenation - NewBeauty Magazine - February 6th, 2021
- [Full text] A Case Report Illustrating the Spontaneous Vision Recovery After Inadv | IMCRJ - Dove Medical Press - February 3rd, 2021
- Woman, 35, who had baby with stepson, 21, after romping behind husbands back shows off their new child for f - The Sun - January 31st, 2021
- The Latest Fashion Trend On Tik Tok Latest News, Breaking News, Top News Headlines - Explica - January 29th, 2021
- Blepharoplasty Treatment Market Trends, Size, Segments, Emerging Technologies and Industry Growth by Forecast to 2027 Murphy's Hockey Law - Murphy's... - January 25th, 2021
- Plastic Surgeons Are Experiencing a Push in 'Post-Pandemic Makeovers'Here's What Patients Are Requesting - NewBeauty Magazine - January 22nd, 2021
- Russian weight loss influencer in relationship with stepson tells of her unusual life - 7NEWS.com.au - January 14th, 2021
- 2021's Hottest Trends in Aesthetics | The London Resideny - The Resident - January 12th, 2021
- Blepharoplasty Market 2026 Global Insights on Trends, Growth Drivers, COVID-19 Impact Analysis, Macroeconomic Indicators, Growth Drivers, and Future... - January 9th, 2021
- Seven Industry Experts Predict The Biggest Beauty Trends Of 2021 - Forbes - January 5th, 2021
- All About Eyelid and Brow Lift Surgery - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - December 26th, 2020
- Popularity in plastic surgery thanks to the pandemic - Toronto Sun - December 19th, 2020
- Blepharoplasty New Jersey | The Peer Group for Plastic Surgery - December 17th, 2020
- Dr. Paul Vitenas Named One of Castle Connelly's Top Doctors Five Years in a Row - Benzinga - December 4th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: What Are the Key Players Evolving In the Growth of the Blepharoplasty Market? - The Blend - December 2nd, 2020
- 7 Plastic Surgeons Predict the Biggest Aesthetic Trends of 2021 - NewBeauty Magazine - November 24th, 2020
- Korea Medical Aesthetics Market Analysis, COVID-19 Impact,Outlook, Opportunities, Size, Share Forecast and Supply Demand 2021-2027|Trusted Business... - November 17th, 2020
- Global Blepharoplasty Market Size |Incredible Possibilities and Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Illadel Graff Supply - November 13th, 2020
- Global Blepharoplasty Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2025 - re:Jerusalem - November 11th, 2020
- Recent Studies of Global Blepharoplasty Treatment Market Forecast says Healthy Pick Up in CAGR By 2020-2027 | Companies like Advance Medical Systems,... - November 11th, 2020
- Blepharoplasty Treatment Estimated to Soar Higher During 2020-2025 - The Think Curiouser - November 7th, 2020
- The 'fox eye' beauty trend continues to spread online. But critics insist it's racist - Myjoyonline.com - November 7th, 2020
- Blepharoplasty Treatment Market Shares, Strategies and Forecast Worldwide, 2019 to 2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 22nd, 2020
- Non-Invasive Skin Tightening Devices Market: Increasing demand for pain-free skin tightening treatment among patients is one of the major driver -... - October 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Blepharoplasty Industry 2020: Global Market Trends, Size, Top Key Players, Demand Overview and Forecast Research to 2026 - Crypto... - September 29th, 2020
- Blepharoplasty Treatment Market: Quantitative Analysis from 2019 to 2025 to Enable the Stakeholders to Capitalize on the Prevailing Blepharoplasty... - September 25th, 2020
- Did Joe Biden Have Plastic Surgery? Trump Makes Claim Without Evidence, Has History Of Making Similar Accusations - International Business Times - September 25th, 2020
- The worlds first and only Hmong plastic surgeon helps his patients to reconstruct their lives. As a young refugee from Laos, David Thao started with... - September 22nd, 2020
- What's the most popular plastic surgery procedure | 1010 WINS - 1010WINS - September 20th, 2020
- Weber Facial Plastic Surgery Ranks No. 3972 on the 2020 Inc. 5000 List - PRNewswire - September 18th, 2020
- Eye Bag Removal: Benefits of Having the Eye Treatment - Pulse Headlines - September 18th, 2020
- COVID 19 Impact on Blepharoplasty Market 2020 Industry Top Manufacturers-Stanford Health Care, USA Plastic Surgery, London Bridge Plastic Surgery,... - September 18th, 2020
- Aesthetic Medicine Market Trends, Companies, Driver, Segmentation, Forecast to 2024 - The Research Process - September 18th, 2020
- Weber Facial Plastic Surgery Ranks No. 3972 on the 2020 Inc. 5000 List - Yahoo Finance - September 16th, 2020
- Top Doctors Say They've Been Getting This Unexpected Request From Plastic Surgery Patients - NewBeauty Magazine - September 10th, 2020
- Dr. Jose Rodrguez-Feliz Continues Partnership With Exclusive Haute Beauty Network - PR Web - September 5th, 2020
- Blepharoplasty Treatment Market: Expansion Strategies Set to Generate Substantial Revenue in the near Future - The Scarlet - September 4th, 2020
- Eyelid Surgery Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2028 - Scientect - September 4th, 2020
- Global and Asia Pacific Blepharoplasty Treatment Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2027 Best Companies included in report Advance Medical Systems,... - September 2nd, 2020