With each passing year, more and more people are injecting Botox beneath their skin. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons now ranks the injections as the most popular minimally invasive cosmetic procedure in the country, with 4.4 million sessions booked in 2020 alone.
And given how much time many of us have spent staring at our own faces on Zoom over the past two years, thats not a surprise. A number of things contribute to those expression lines across the forehead and at the corners of our eyes. Layer a lifetime of movement and expression over the skins natural decrease in collagen and oil production, as well as decreased fat levels in the deep layers of skin tissue, and some wrinkling is inevitable. But if youve spent a lot of time in the sun or been exposed to the kinds of environmental toxins that compromise the skin, and the lines may become permanent.
So whether youre 25 and considering prevention, or 45 and interested in shaving a decade off your brow, you may have wondered whether Botox is worth it. For the uninitiated, there is a trove of questions to ask: How exactly does Botox work, how long does it last and what will regular injections do in the long run? Sure, weve all had a laugh at someone who cant move his or her forehead, but will that person get the last laugh at age 75, when they look 20 years younger than the rest of us?
If youre on the fence, or if youd simply like some general Botox 101, then furrow your brow no more: Heres a primer on Botox from one of the most trusted docs in the business: John Layke, D.O., plastic surgeon and co-founder of Beverly Hills MD.
The end goal of Botox is to disappear or prevent wrinkles and fine lines. But how exactly does it accomplish that goal? Simply, Botox blocks acetylcholine receptors from the nerves, says Layke. In other words: Botox prevents your facial muscles from moving, and thus, from folding and wrinkling the skin. And as a bonus for oily skin types, it can also reduce sweat or oil production in these areas. However, for many patients, and primarily men, the goal might not be to totally inhibit muscle movement
Most people are good candidates, notes Layke. On the one side, there are people looking to prevent the formation of these fine lines (people in their 20s), while anyone in their 30s upwards would be in the other camp, trying to offset existing lines and prevent further progression. Layke says the assessment is made based on visual age however, since two people at the same age may experience wrinkle formation and progression differently, for a variety of reasons.
While Botox has uses beyond wrinkle prevention (like preventing profuse sweating in the armpits), its cosmetic use targets four spots around the face: The crows feet at the eyes, the glabella (between and right above the eyebrows), the bunny lines (around the nose), as well as the forehead.
Certain muscular and nervous conditions preclude Botox, Layke says, such as MS and ALS. He also advises against Botox use on anyone whose brow is too heavy Many times, Botox can worsen this, and a brow lift and/or eyelid surgery will be the better solution, Layke says.
Layke says you should enjoy the full benefits of each dosage for three to four months. After that, your facial muscles will slowly regain mobility. It will take a few days for the Botox to begin working, after which it will peak at one week.
The results will speak for themselves. A good job means that no one knows you have Botox in place, Layke says. The eyebrows have a gentle arch in females, not an angry or confused look. Males should still have movement. The idea with proper neurotoxin usage is that you will still create lines with animation. However, in repose, the upper third of the face should look smoother and more youthful.
While Layke notes most people will experience redness and minor discomfort at the injection sites, there are other potential side effects like eyelid lag that some people endure. Similarly, facial asymmetry is one risk you run and may be a primary indicator that you didnt visit an experienced, reputable doctor. (Better luck next time?)
As it is injected, Botox delivers a tiny pinch, Layke says. Its not too difficult to endure, though, since its only a 33-G needle (which has approximately 0.1mm interior diameter).
Youll need to check with your local providers because Layke notes the price shifts dramatically based on demographics and geographicsnot to mention your clinics reputation. On the low end, he says to expect $350 per session and $1,200 on the upper end.
Typical amounts used are 12 to 20 units in the glabella, eight to 24 units in the crows feet and 10 to 16 in the forehead, Layke says. Of course, your doctor will be able to determine how much you need for any and all locations.
Like Kleenex, Xerox and Frisbee, the word Botox is a trademarked term so widely recognized for its purpose that its become a catchall for its class of products. These include Xeomin, Dysport and one of the latest, Jeuveau. Your doctor will be able to determine which product is best for you based on their nuances, but Layke has a bias for one in particular: Most have a shorter duration and efficacy than Jeuveau, he says. Still, only upon examination will your doctor be able to prescribe the best fit.
Botox and fillers are not the same. Botox inhibits muscle contraction, and fillers add volume to areas that are deficient, Layke explains.
The skin at the Botox site will not thin or atrophy over time. The only thing that would atrophy would be the muscles themselves, Layke says. And that would be welcome!
While you may experience a decrease in local sweating and oil production on the forehead, Botox wont increase perspiration around the body. Yes, the sweat will be excreted one way or the other, but your armpits wont suddenly turn into a fire hydrant.
Your skin care regimen should not change with Botox. Unless, of course, it was a subpar regimen in the first place; you certainly should prioritize anti-aging measures across the board if youre also willing to invest in Botox. And because it may decrease your natural oil production, you should counter that with hydrating products.
Botox is not a poison, Layke says. Although it is made using botulinum toxin, it is a purified protein that blocks the neuromuscular receptors.
Here is Laykes fairly direct conclusion on Botox: It should be considered the best drug we have for anti-aging. Few products can bring an instant halt to wrinkling. And while a lifetime of retinol, serums, SPF application and sun avoidance can go a long way (and should be practiced regardless), each person has to assess their own variables to decide if Botox is the right solution. Just like you need to weigh the pros and cons of hair retention methods to keep your hair density, no superficial choice is ever entirely obvious. If it was, well, then wed all have Botox. But as more and more of your friends count themselves among its fans with each passing yearwhile the crows feet gather at the corners of the eyesthat solution starts looking a lot more attractive.
Botox is a single solution, Layke says regarding its value as an anti-aging tactic. But [ongoing] skincare and improvement of the dermis are also necessary [regardless of Botox usage]like micro-needling and light peels.
Read more here:
Botox Is More Popular Than Ever. Heres What You Should Know Before You Get It. - Robb Report
- Aesthetic Equipment Market: Rising incidences of obesity to drive the market - BioSpace - May 15th, 2022
- Blind cat and her partially-sighted brother need a loving home - Bromsgrove Advertiser - May 15th, 2022
- More than five million skin cancer cases are diagnosed each year. Here's how to help prevent it. - KENS5.com - May 15th, 2022
- Tarsus Presents Results of Two Studies Highlighting Demodex Blepharitis Patient Impact and Burden at the ASCRS 2022 Annual Meeting - Yahoo Finance - May 1st, 2022
- Someone shot him in the eye at a Chesterfield shopping center: 'Somebody needs to be held accountable' - CBS 6 News Richmond WTVR - May 1st, 2022
- Dog who underwent full facelift to help him see is now ready to find new home - The Mirror - May 1st, 2022
- Anti-Aging Therapies and Services Market Size, Share, Growth, Demand, Top Manufacturers and Forecast by 2029 themobility.club - themobility.club - May 1st, 2022
- Wrinkly dog plagued with skin and eye issues due to 'extreme breeding' - cumbriacrack.com - Cumbria Crack - April 18th, 2022
- Daxi, the New, Long-Lasting Neurotoxin, Is Awaiting FDA Approval Here's What Dermatologists Think - Allure - April 18th, 2022
- The Eye Health Tips You Need to Know for a Lifetime of Sharp Vision - Prevention Magazine - April 18th, 2022
- Plastic surgeons name BTS's V as the top celebrity that male patients want to look like - allkpop - April 18th, 2022
- Cancer: Itchy eyelid could be a sign of eye cancer - sufferers first noticeable symptom - Express - April 5th, 2022
- I splashed 800 to tackle my droopy eyelids but my face BALLOONED my son couldnt even look at me... - The US Sun - April 5th, 2022
- Computer vision syndrome, mask-associated dry eye & more with David Aizuss, MD - American Medical Association - April 5th, 2022
- My glass is definitely full Douglas Dr. Doug Heath, a beloved DJ, never stopped preaching the power of positive thinking - San Antonio Express-News - April 5th, 2022
- Tha Invests Further In UK With Latest Dry Eye Launch - HBW Insight - April 5th, 2022
- Slit Lamps Market: Increasing risk of cataracts among the diabetic population tp drive the market - BioSpace - April 5th, 2022
- How to Look Younger and Age Gracefully, According to Experts - Anti-Aging Tips - Prevention Magazine - April 5th, 2022
- How long is the laser eye surgery recovery time? - OCL Vision - March 25th, 2022
- What Eyedrops Are Best to Use After Cataract Surgery ... - March 25th, 2022
- Management of Severe Multifactorial Eyelid Ectropion With Lateral Tarsal Strip Procedure and Full-Thickness Skin Graft - Cureus - March 25th, 2022
- Beverly Hills MD announces the "Beverly Hills MD Flawless Eyes Collection" featuring Thick + Full Brow Enhancing Serum - PR Newswire - March 25th, 2022
- The 7 Biggest Plastic Surgery Trends of 2022 | Plastic Surgeons Predict the Most Popular Procedures - Allure - January 21st, 2022
- Eyelid Surgery, Botox and Fillers in Boston by Dr. Mitesh ... - January 21st, 2022
- Eye cancers blink and you'll miss them - Deniliquin Pastoral Times - January 21st, 2022
- AffaMed Therapeutics, licensee of DEXTENZA in Certain Asian Markets, Doses Their First Patient in Clinical Trial Evaluating the Safety and Efficacy of... - January 21st, 2022
- Global Cosmetic Surgical Surgery and Procedure Market Size 2021 Trend and Opportunities Discovery Sports Media - Discovery Sports Media - January 21st, 2022
- Mum's charity challenge after toddler's lazy eye turned out to be brain tumour - The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald - January 21st, 2022
- Fixing Upper Eyelid Surgery Gone Wrong | Botched Upper ... - January 7th, 2022
- How to Fix a Droopy Eyelid without Surgery - 7 steps - January 7th, 2022
- Ophthalmic trauma: the top 100 cited articles in Ophthalmology journals | Eye - Nature.com - January 7th, 2022
- Pepper Pikes three newest council members take oath of office, are excited to get to work - cleveland.com - January 7th, 2022
- How to manage your eyelid bags: home remedies and surgery - Spire Healthcare - December 25th, 2021
- Spaceflight leads to brow elevation without affecting eyelid position: Study - Medical Dialogues - December 12th, 2021
- Innovative sleeping bag for the treatment of "squashed ice" syndrome associated with space travel - Amico Hoops - December 12th, 2021
- Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) - Better Health Channel - November 10th, 2021
- Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery Before And After Photos ... - November 10th, 2021
- Home - Walton Eye Care - November 10th, 2021
- 53 Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures In Korea ... - November 10th, 2021
- Ocular Therapeutix Announces Success in Patent Appeal Brought by Mati Therapeutics, Inc. - Yahoo Finance - November 10th, 2021
- Your Jaw Is Going To Drop When You See Selena Gomezs Face Transformation - SheFinds - November 10th, 2021
- Your Jaw Is Going To Drop When You See Adeles Real Face - SheFinds - November 10th, 2021
- Column: The basics of plastic surgery | South Lake Tahoe - SouthTahoeNow.com - South Tahoe Now - November 10th, 2021
- Opioid Analgesics Sales to Grow by 1.7X through 2031 as the Demand for Post-Surgery Pain Management Continues to Rise: Future Market Insights - Yahoo... - October 30th, 2021
- Aesthetic plastic surgery practice offers the first and only FDA-approved injectable for cellulite - UpperMichigansSource.com - October 30th, 2021
- HIV retinopathy: Causes, symptoms, and more - Medical News Today - October 30th, 2021
- Anti Aging Products and Therapies Market 2021 Industry Analysis, Opportunity, Segmentation and Forecast to 2027 The Host - The Host - October 30th, 2021
- Wayne Linekers club sued by Love Island's Theo Campbell over champagne cork injury - The Mirror - October 30th, 2021
- Washington Woman Warns that Halloween Contact Lenses Almost Left Her Blind: 'a Nightmare' - PEOPLE - October 30th, 2021
- ASK AN OPHTHALMOLOGIST | EXPERT ADVICE - MAG THE WEEKLY - Mag The Weekly Magazine - October 18th, 2021
- Weve spent tens of thousands on surgery can you guess what weve had done and whose nip and tucks cost t... - The Sun - October 18th, 2021
- 'Sir David Attenborough doesnt look well its worrying' - concerned fans speak out - Daily Express - October 18th, 2021
- Frankel opens facial plastic surgery office in Mayfield Heights - Cleveland Jewish News - October 18th, 2021
- My face was MUMMIFIED after irreversible beauty treatment then my boyfriend DUMPED me as I look ancient... - The US Sun - October 18th, 2021
- Joan Collins sounds off on the Kardashians: 'There's an awful lot of surgery there' - Yahoo Life - October 6th, 2021
- Non-invasive eye surgery procedures to improve eyesight - Digital Journal - October 6th, 2021
- Dealing with dry eye in Arizona - KGUN - October 6th, 2021
- What is Rosacea? Experts Explain the Signs and Triggers - Prevention.com - October 6th, 2021
- Overproduction of tears and blocked ducts The major cause of Eye-watering says Dr. Aparna Ayyagari - APN News - October 6th, 2021
- Julia Morris just got an eyelid lift. Here's everything you need to know about the procedure. - Mamamia - September 2nd, 2021
- 3 Skincare Treatments Everyone is Talking About - StyleBlueprint - September 2nd, 2021
- Everyone Is Talking About This Viral Eye Cream for Bags - As Seen on TikTok - Newsweek - September 2nd, 2021
- Everything you need to know about botox - Times of India - September 2nd, 2021
- Exercises for droopy eyelids: What are they, and do they work? - Medical News Today - September 2nd, 2021
- Revance Announces Publication of Results on Static Glabellar Lines With Repeated Treatment of DaxibotulinumtoxinA for Injection From the SAKURA... - September 2nd, 2021
- Near Infrared Medical Imaging Market What Factors will drive the Market in Upcoming Years and How it is Going to Impact on Global Industry The... - August 21st, 2021
- Debris and Shrapnel Eye Injuries After Massive Beirut Explosion - MedPage Today - August 8th, 2021
- Ajaipal Kang, M.D.: What to know and do before having cosmetic surgery - GoErie.com - August 8th, 2021
- Global Single Use Ophthalmic Surgical Devices Market 2021 Growth, Latest Trend Analysis and Forecast 2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 24th, 2021
- Just a Little Prick: The Rise in Non-Invasive Male Cosmetic Procedures In an uncertain world - Men's health UK - July 24th, 2021
- Johnson & Johnson Vision Presents Scientific Data Validating Improved Surgical Outcomes With Latest Cataract Innovations And Legacy MGD Treatment... - July 24th, 2021
- Big Plastic Surgery Increase from 2015 to 2019 Underscores Normalization of Aesthetic Enhancements, says Beverly Hills Physicians - WFMZ Allentown - July 24th, 2021
- Dry eyes and floaters: Causes, treatment, and seeking help - Medical News Today - July 24th, 2021
- Did Joel Osteen get plastic surgery? Pastor once confirmed he wants to 'look good' - MEAWW - July 24th, 2021
- Admitting to myself Im losing my vision has been hard. Admitting it to other people has been harder - The Globe and Mail - July 24th, 2021
- Protect eyes at higher elevation | SteamboatToday.com - Steamboat Pilot and Today - July 9th, 2021
- How To Ensure You Stay On Top Of Your Wellness Game Even At Home - Femina - July 9th, 2021
- Having These 3 Facial Features Gets You Ahead At Work, Says Study - YourTango - July 9th, 2021
- Firefighter who had the worlds most extensive face transplant says hed run into the blaze again five yea... - The US Sun - July 9th, 2021
- Yes, Eyebrow Dandruff Is RealHere's How to Treat It The Healthy - msnNOW - July 9th, 2021