We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Heres our process.
Double eyelid surgery is a specific type of eyelid surgery in which creases in the upper eyelids are formed, creating double eyelids.
You might choose this procedure, called blepharoplasty, if you want to correct a condition such as droopy eyelids or eye bags or if you want to change the appearance of your eyelids.
Continue reading as we delve into double eyelid surgery, before-and-after pictures, nonsurgical options, and what you can expect from the results.
Some people have visible eyelid creases, known as double eyelids. Some were born without eyelid creases. Thats called a single lid or a monolid. Theres nothing medically wrong with either.
Some reasons you might want double eyelid surgery include:
People all around the world get double eyelid blepharoplasty. Its the most common aesthetic surgery in East Asia.
Eyelid surgery should be performed by a qualified plastic surgeon experienced in this type of procedure. Here are some things to discuss during your surgical consultation:
Both incisional and non-incisional techniques can be done on an outpatient basis. Youll have some type of anesthesia and your eyes will be sensitive, so you wont be able to drive yourself home. Make sure to arrange transportation in advance.
These are the basic steps to double eyelid surgery using the incisional method:
The incisional technique may be a good option if you have thick skin, need extra skin and fat removed, or are looking for a permanent result. This procedure isnt reversible. Some potential risks are:
A double eyelid can also be created without an incision. This procedure is called the buried suture technique. Its also performed under general anesthesia or with IV sedation and local anesthetic.
As with the incisional technique, the eyelid will be carefully measured and marked. Then, a series of tiny punctures are made in the skin along the line.
Sutures are placed through the punctures and tightened until they form the desired crease. The sutures will remain beneath the skin, out of sight. You wont have to return to have them removed.
Youll have less scarring with the non-incisional procedure, and it can be reversed. The non-incisional technique may be a good option if you dont need extra skin and fat removed. Some potential risks are:
Initial healing time following the incisional procedure can last up to two weeks. It may take several months to heal completely. While youre recovering, you might have:
These symptoms should be temporary. Here are some tips to relieve irritated eyes:
With the non-incisional technique, you can expect full recovery within two weeks.
For either procedure, follow your surgeons discharge instructions. Antibiotics may be prescribed to protect against infection. Take them all, even if you feel fully healed. Be sure to report any signs of infection or post-op side effects immediately.
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons put the average cost of cosmetic eyelid surgery at $3,163 in 2018. Thats an average for just the surgery. This estimate doesnt include anesthesia, cost of the operating room, or other related expenses, so the price will likely be higher.
Costs can vary based on factors, such as:
If youre having the surgery because your eyelids are interfering with your eyelashes or vision, it may be covered by insurance.
Its a good idea to get pre-authorization for the procedure. However, most policies dont cover any portion of cosmetic surgery.
There are a variety of eyelid tapes and glues marketed as a way to get double eyelids. You can find them in drugstores or where beauty products are sold. These items are used to force a crease into the eyelid.
Find double eyelid tape and double eyelid glue online.
When using these products, be sure to wash your hands before applying. Change eyelid tape every day, and keep the area around your eyes clean. Stop using immediately if your eyelids become puffy.
If youre concerned about your eye health, talk to your eye doctor before using eyelid tapes and glues, or if your eyes become irritated by them.
Double eyelids are eyelids with visible double creases. Double eyelid surgery is performed to add a crease to the eyelids, usually as a matter of personal preference.
Consult with your eye doctor and a qualified plastic surgeon to discuss the pros and cons and to find out if youre a good candidate for this procedure.
There are also nonsurgical options for creating double eyelids. Keep in mind, theres nothing medically wrong with double or single eyelids both are entirely normal.
Double Eyelid: Surgical & Nonsurgical Options, Pictures ...
- Dr. Machida of Second to Creation Awarded Castle Connolly Top Doctor - Digital Journal - May 15th, 2022
- Why Male Clients of This Luxury London Skin Care Clinic Just Love Anti-Wrinkle Treatment - Digital Journal - May 15th, 2022
- More than meets the eye - The New Indian Express - May 1st, 2022
- Is gout reversible? Treatment, management, and more - Medical News Today - May 1st, 2022
- "He sold me a fairytale to fill his own pockets": The horror reality of botched breast implants. - Mamamia - April 18th, 2022
- The Evolution of Looks and Expectations of Asian Eyelid ... - January 21st, 2022
- Expanding Treatment Options for Myasthenia Gravis: Why... : Neurology Today - LWW Journals - January 21st, 2022
- Eyelid Spasms (Eye Twitching or Eye Twitch) | Kellogg Eye ... - January 21st, 2022
- Squints is saved, with help from Animal Shelter Foundation - Tallahassee.com - November 25th, 2021
- The Best Tear Trough and Under-Eye Filler | Dr. Brett ... - November 10th, 2021
- Monolid Eyes: Why They Are Beautiful and More - November 10th, 2021
- Home Page: Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery - November 10th, 2021
- Dr. Luis Macias and Aesthetic MdR Named Top Plastic Surgeon, Best Surgery Center and Best MediSpa - Business Wire - November 10th, 2021
- Allergan Aesthetics | An AbbVie Company - November 10th, 2021
- Ocular Therapeutix Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Business Update - Business Wire - November 10th, 2021
- FDA Approves Xipere Eye Injection from Bausch and Clearside - InvisionMag - October 30th, 2021
- Aesthetic plastic surgery practice offers the first and only FDA-approved injectable for cellulite - WIBW - October 30th, 2021
- Know the Symptoms of Thyroid or Graves Eye Disease - AARP - October 18th, 2021
- FDA Approves Dextenza for Use in Patients With Ocular Itching Associated With Allergic Conjunctivitis - Pharmacy Times - October 18th, 2021
- Plastic surgeon to celebrities explains every tool she uses - Insider - October 6th, 2021
- BMP4 and inflammation cytokines | JIR - Dove Medical Press - August 21st, 2021
- Dysport 101: Everything to Know About the Fast-Acting Neurotoxin - NewBeauty Magazine - August 21st, 2021
- Elise Hu: The Beauty Ideal - KUAR - August 21st, 2021
- Al Ain's hospital achieves another milestone after performing complex brainstem operation - Gulf Today - June 29th, 2021
- Intense pulse and LLL therapy in meibomian gland dysfunction | OPTH - Dove Medical Press - June 29th, 2021
- Im A Neuro-Ophthalmologist: Here Are 5 Ways To Support Your Eye & Brain Health - mindbodygreen.com - June 12th, 2021
- I Used Makeup to Hide My Asianness Here's Why I Don't Anymore - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - May 31st, 2021
- From ancient Egypt to Beverly Hills: A brief history of plastic surgery - CNN - May 31st, 2021
- How I Learned to Love My Monolids - Vogue - May 31st, 2021
- Plastic Surgery was Buoyed by the Zoom Boom but the End of Social Distancing Offers Patients a New Incentive to Get Started on Procedures, says Dr. J... - May 19th, 2021
- Is Fat Transfer the Future of Anti-Aging? This Expert Says Yes - NewBeauty Magazine - April 22nd, 2021
- The art of gifting tea | Lifestyle Gulf News - Gulf News - April 5th, 2021
- Podcast: In the AI of the Beholder - MIT Technology Review - April 5th, 2021
- Brewed with innovation | Lifestyle Gulf News - Gulf News - April 5th, 2021
- 6 Things You Should Know Before Getting Double Eyelid ... - March 9th, 2021
- Why does Yesung need surgery? Worried fans say Super Junior with you hurt isnt what we want before comeback - MEAWW - February 10th, 2021
- Beauty standards are rooted in whiteness | Opinion | dailytitan.com - The Daily Titan - February 10th, 2021
- Eyelid - Wikipedia - February 1st, 2021
- Surgery for Double Vision in Adults | NYU Langone Health - February 1st, 2021
- Double Vision Causes, Tests, Treatment & Symptoms - February 1st, 2021
- Eye Muscle Surgery - procedure, recovery, blood, pain ... - February 1st, 2021
- Perfect Eyes Ltd | London's Leading Cosmetic Eye Surgeon - February 1st, 2021
- What to Expect After Strabismus (Eye Muscle) Surgery ... - February 1st, 2021
- Plastic Surgery Trends According to Two NYC Experts - DuJour - dujour.com - February 1st, 2021
- These are the Prettiest Idols with Monolid and Double-Eyelids, According to a Plastic Surgeon - Kpopstarz - January 23rd, 2021
- Natural, needle or the knife? How stars from J-Lo to Katie Price got their looks - SamfordCrimson News - The Samford Crimson - January 22nd, 2021
- Here's Everything You Should Know About The K-Pop World - Man's World India - December 28th, 2020
- Expert in Asian Eyelid Surgery Now Operating in Southern California at WAVE Plastic Surgery - PR Web - December 22nd, 2020
- Sharp rise in surgery for dog bites with 3,000 people needing surgery last year - Daily Express - December 21st, 2020
- Types of Double Eyelid Surgery (Don't be Fooled when choosing) - December 13th, 2020
- Plastic Surgery in the Age of the Pandemic: Heres Why Its on the Rise - Vogue.com - December 3rd, 2020
- Update on the latest sports - Newscenter1.tv - November 28th, 2020
- Latest in sports - The Advocate - November 28th, 2020
- BlackRock Throgmorton Trust Plc - Total Voting Rights - Yahoo Finance UK - November 26th, 2020
- Skipping cross the creek - Mount Airy News - November 22nd, 2020
- Heres What Idols Go Through When They Get Double Eyelid ... - November 2nd, 2020
- 'You might think the 'fox eye' look is just a beauty trend. This is why it's so triggering.' - Mamamia - October 31st, 2020
- You look Familiar Instagram Face and the De-racialization of Beauty - SWAAY - October 30th, 2020
- World Series 2020: How the Dodgers built their NL champion roster through trades, free agency and the draft - CBS Sports - October 21st, 2020
- East Asian blepharoplasty - Wikipedia - October 2nd, 2020
- The Dark History Behind Double-Eyelid Surgery - October 2nd, 2020
- How Much Does Double Eyelid Surgery (Asian Blepharoplasty ... - September 12th, 2020
- Potential Positive Readout Of Aurinia Pharmaceuticals' Phase 2/3 AUDREY Trial Could Bring Best-In-Class Eye Drops For Dry Eye Syndrome - Seeking Alpha - September 9th, 2020
- PSA: Be Extra Careful When Youre Trying To Open A Vacuum Flask That Is Feeling Uncommonly Tight - The Rakyat Post - August 21st, 2020
- The 'fox eye' beauty trend continues to spread online. But critics insist it's racist - NewsDio - August 18th, 2020
- For black lives to matter, all looks must matter - The Times of India Blog - August 17th, 2020
- The 'fox eye' beauty trend continues to spread online. But critics insist it's racist - CNN - August 12th, 2020
- Covid19 Impact on Asia Pacific Aesthetics Market 2020- Global Trends and Regional Forecast to 2023 - 3rd Watch News - July 15th, 2020
- Fans rally behind Grace Chow and her surgical scars - The Star Online - July 15th, 2020
- The Dark Side of K-Pop Was What Drew Me to the Genre - Allure - April 21st, 2020