Thinking about trying injectables to treat fine lines and wrinkles, specifically those frown lines in between the brows? Youre not alone. Injections to reduce those lines are one of the most popular in-office treatments available right now. While there are quite a few neurotoxins available on the market, theres one that particularly caught our eye recently: Dysport (abobotulinumtoxinA) for between the brows frown lines.
Please see Full Important Safety Information, including Distant Spread of Toxin Effect Boxed Warning, at the end of this article.
While many of us are aware that these injections exist, not all of us know exactly how they work and who should try them. In order to clear up some of the confusion, we tapped Metairie, LA dermatologist Kate Holcomb, MD to walk us through the most important facts to know about Dysport.
Just like the other wrinkle-relaxing products on the market, Dysport blocks acetylcholine release from neurons, thus limiting or preventing muscle contraction, says Dr. Holcomb. By reducing muscle contraction in the treated area, it relaxes and reduces the wrinkles already present on the skin and helps temporarily prevent them from getting deeper or worsening.
Neurotoxins generally take about a week or two to reach their full effect of reducing muscle movement in the targeted area. Studies with Dysport show noticeable improvement just two to three days post-treatment.*1-3 Also, Dysport may last up to five months. 1-2,4
* A secondary endpoint based on Kaplan-Meier estimates of cumulative rate of time to onset of response. The median time to onset of response was 3 days in GL-1 (Dysport 55/105 [52%], Placebo 3/53 [6%]) and GL-2 (Dysport 36/71 [51%], Placebo 9/71 [13%]), and 2 days in GL-3 (Dysport 110/200 [55%], Placebo 4/100 [4%]).
GL-1 and GL-3 evaluated subjects for at least 150 days following treatment. Based on a 1-Grade GLSS improvement from baseline utilizing data from two double-blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled pivotal studies (GL-1, GL-3) in a post-hoc analysis.
Dysport is approved for the temporary improvement in the appearance of moderate to severe glabellar linesaka frown linesbetween the eyebrows. This area is often a cause for concern for many, particularly because the lines here can make people appear worn out or displeased, even when their face is at rest.
Any person less than 65 years of age looking to improve their facial wrinkles related to muscle movement in between the eyebrows may be a good candidate for Dysport. However, there are a few special cases of people who should avoid it.
You are not considered appropriate for Dysport injections if you are under 18 years of age, have had an allergic reaction to other neuromodulators that youve previously tried or if the ingredients in Dysport are a known allergen for you. If you have an infection along the forehead, you should also reconsider Dysport. Finally, people that are currently pregnant or breastfeeding should postpone trying Dysport, too.
Dysport has a well-established safety profile, says Dr. Holcomb. It has been used clinically worldwide for over 30 years with over 12 years of cosmetic use in the United States.
For a full list of side effects please see Full Important Safety Information, including Distant Spread of Toxin Effect Boxed Warning at the bottom of this article. The most common side effects are nose and throat irritation, headache, injection site pain, injection site skin reaction, upper respiratory tract infection, eyelid swelling, eyelid drooping, sinus inflammation, and nausea.
Appointments for Dysport are usually so quicktypically only 20 minutesthat you can even get it done during your lunch break. The injecting takes about two to three minutes, but the general preparation is what is involved with the remaining time, says Dr. Holcomb. Because this is a medical treatment, we confirm the medical and surgical history, we clean and prep the skin, and we photograph the patient with multiple expressions and angles [before treatment].
Injections with Dysport are typically a minimal prep and minimal downtime procedure.5 The treatment itself is rather quick, and results look subtle and natural. With Dysport, patients can expect that their fine lines and wrinkles between the brows will be softened without having their authentic appearance dramatically changed. As with any treatment, though, its important to go to an experienced injector to ensure your results meet your expectations.
Dysport (abobotulinumtoxinA)is a prescription injection for temporary improvement in the look of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows (glabellar lines) in adults less than 65 years of age.
Important Safety Information
What is the most important information you should know aboutDysport? Spread of Toxin Effects: In some cases, the effects ofDysportand all botulinum toxin products may affect areas of the body away from the injection site. Symptoms can happen hours to weeks after injection and may include swallowing and breathing problems, loss of strength and muscle weakness all over the body, double vision, blurred vision and drooping eyelids, hoarseness or change or loss of voice, trouble saying words clearly, or loss of bladder control. Swallowing and breathing problems can be life threatening and there have been reports of death. You are at the highest risk if these problems are preexisting before injection.
These effects could make it unsafe for you to drive a car, operate machinery, or do other dangerous activities.
Do not haveDysporttreatment if you:are allergic toDysportor any of its ingredients (see the end of the Medication Guide for a list of ingredients), are allergic to cows milk protein, had an allergic reaction to any other botulinum toxin product, such as Myobloc, Botox, or Xeomin, have a skin infection at the planned injection site, under 18 years of age, or are pregnant or breastfeeding.
The dose ofDysportis not the same as the dose of any other botulinum toxin product and cannot be compared to the dose of any other product you may have used.
Tell your doctor about any swallowing or breathing difficulties and all your muscle or nerve conditionssuch as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [ALS or Lou Gehrigs disease], myasthenia gravis, or LambertEaton syndrome, which may increase the risk of serious side effects including difficulty swallowing and difficulty breathing. Serious allergic reactions have occurred with the use ofDysport. Dry eye has also been reported.
Tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions, includingif you have surgical changes to your face, very weak muscles in the treatment area, any abnormal facial change, injection site inflammation, droopy eyelids or sagging eyelid folds, deep facial scars, thick oily skin, wrinkles that cant be smoothed by spreading them apart, or if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or planning to become pregnant or breastfeed.
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins and herbal and other natural products. UsingDysportwith certain other medicines may cause serious side effects.Do not start any new medicines while takingDysportwithout talking to your doctor first.
Especially tell your doctor if you:have received any other botulinum toxin product, such as Myobloc (rimabotulinumtoxinB), Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA), or Xeomin (incobotulinumtoxinA), in the last four months or any in the past (be sure your doctor knows exactly which product you received, have recently received an antibiotic by injection, take muscle relaxants, take an allergy or cold medicine, or take a sleep medicine.
Common Side Effects
The most common side effects are nose and throat irritation, headache, injection site pain, injection site skin reaction, upper respiratory tract infection, eyelid swelling, eyelid drooping, sinus inflammation, and nausea.
Ask your doctor ifDysportis right for you.
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visitwww.fda.gov/medwatchor call1-800-FDA-1088.
Please seeDysportFull Prescribing InformationincludingMedication Guideat DysportUSA.com.
At NewBeauty, we get the most trusted information from the beauty authority delivered right to your inbox
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you
Read the original:
Dysport 101: Everything to Know About the Fast-Acting Neurotoxin - NewBeauty Magazine
- Dr. Machida of Second to Creation Awarded Castle Connolly Top Doctor - Digital Journal - May 15th, 2022
- Why Male Clients of This Luxury London Skin Care Clinic Just Love Anti-Wrinkle Treatment - Digital Journal - May 15th, 2022
- More than meets the eye - The New Indian Express - May 1st, 2022
- Is gout reversible? Treatment, management, and more - Medical News Today - May 1st, 2022
- "He sold me a fairytale to fill his own pockets": The horror reality of botched breast implants. - Mamamia - April 18th, 2022
- The Evolution of Looks and Expectations of Asian Eyelid ... - January 21st, 2022
- Expanding Treatment Options for Myasthenia Gravis: Why... : Neurology Today - LWW Journals - January 21st, 2022
- Eyelid Spasms (Eye Twitching or Eye Twitch) | Kellogg Eye ... - January 21st, 2022
- Squints is saved, with help from Animal Shelter Foundation - Tallahassee.com - November 25th, 2021
- The Best Tear Trough and Under-Eye Filler | Dr. Brett ... - November 10th, 2021
- Monolid Eyes: Why They Are Beautiful and More - November 10th, 2021
- Home Page: Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery - November 10th, 2021
- Dr. Luis Macias and Aesthetic MdR Named Top Plastic Surgeon, Best Surgery Center and Best MediSpa - Business Wire - November 10th, 2021
- Allergan Aesthetics | An AbbVie Company - November 10th, 2021
- Ocular Therapeutix Reports Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Business Update - Business Wire - November 10th, 2021
- FDA Approves Xipere Eye Injection from Bausch and Clearside - InvisionMag - October 30th, 2021
- Aesthetic plastic surgery practice offers the first and only FDA-approved injectable for cellulite - WIBW - October 30th, 2021
- Know the Symptoms of Thyroid or Graves Eye Disease - AARP - October 18th, 2021
- FDA Approves Dextenza for Use in Patients With Ocular Itching Associated With Allergic Conjunctivitis - Pharmacy Times - October 18th, 2021
- Plastic surgeon to celebrities explains every tool she uses - Insider - October 6th, 2021
- BMP4 and inflammation cytokines | JIR - Dove Medical Press - August 21st, 2021
- Elise Hu: The Beauty Ideal - KUAR - August 21st, 2021
- Al Ain's hospital achieves another milestone after performing complex brainstem operation - Gulf Today - June 29th, 2021
- Intense pulse and LLL therapy in meibomian gland dysfunction | OPTH - Dove Medical Press - June 29th, 2021
- Im A Neuro-Ophthalmologist: Here Are 5 Ways To Support Your Eye & Brain Health - mindbodygreen.com - June 12th, 2021
- I Used Makeup to Hide My Asianness Here's Why I Don't Anymore - POPSUGAR Beauty Austrailia - May 31st, 2021
- From ancient Egypt to Beverly Hills: A brief history of plastic surgery - CNN - May 31st, 2021
- How I Learned to Love My Monolids - Vogue - May 31st, 2021
- Plastic Surgery was Buoyed by the Zoom Boom but the End of Social Distancing Offers Patients a New Incentive to Get Started on Procedures, says Dr. J... - May 19th, 2021
- Is Fat Transfer the Future of Anti-Aging? This Expert Says Yes - NewBeauty Magazine - April 22nd, 2021
- The art of gifting tea | Lifestyle Gulf News - Gulf News - April 5th, 2021
- Podcast: In the AI of the Beholder - MIT Technology Review - April 5th, 2021
- Brewed with innovation | Lifestyle Gulf News - Gulf News - April 5th, 2021
- 6 Things You Should Know Before Getting Double Eyelid ... - March 9th, 2021
- Why does Yesung need surgery? Worried fans say Super Junior with you hurt isnt what we want before comeback - MEAWW - February 10th, 2021
- Beauty standards are rooted in whiteness | Opinion | dailytitan.com - The Daily Titan - February 10th, 2021
- Eyelid - Wikipedia - February 1st, 2021
- Surgery for Double Vision in Adults | NYU Langone Health - February 1st, 2021
- Double Vision Causes, Tests, Treatment & Symptoms - February 1st, 2021
- Eye Muscle Surgery - procedure, recovery, blood, pain ... - February 1st, 2021
- Perfect Eyes Ltd | London's Leading Cosmetic Eye Surgeon - February 1st, 2021
- What to Expect After Strabismus (Eye Muscle) Surgery ... - February 1st, 2021
- Plastic Surgery Trends According to Two NYC Experts - DuJour - dujour.com - February 1st, 2021
- These are the Prettiest Idols with Monolid and Double-Eyelids, According to a Plastic Surgeon - Kpopstarz - January 23rd, 2021
- Natural, needle or the knife? How stars from J-Lo to Katie Price got their looks - SamfordCrimson News - The Samford Crimson - January 22nd, 2021
- Here's Everything You Should Know About The K-Pop World - Man's World India - December 28th, 2020
- Expert in Asian Eyelid Surgery Now Operating in Southern California at WAVE Plastic Surgery - PR Web - December 22nd, 2020
- Sharp rise in surgery for dog bites with 3,000 people needing surgery last year - Daily Express - December 21st, 2020
- Types of Double Eyelid Surgery (Don't be Fooled when choosing) - December 13th, 2020
- Plastic Surgery in the Age of the Pandemic: Heres Why Its on the Rise - Vogue.com - December 3rd, 2020
- Update on the latest sports - Newscenter1.tv - November 28th, 2020
- Latest in sports - The Advocate - November 28th, 2020
- BlackRock Throgmorton Trust Plc - Total Voting Rights - Yahoo Finance UK - November 26th, 2020
- Skipping cross the creek - Mount Airy News - November 22nd, 2020
- Double Eyelid: Surgical & Nonsurgical Options, Pictures ... - November 2nd, 2020
- Heres What Idols Go Through When They Get Double Eyelid ... - November 2nd, 2020
- 'You might think the 'fox eye' look is just a beauty trend. This is why it's so triggering.' - Mamamia - October 31st, 2020
- You look Familiar Instagram Face and the De-racialization of Beauty - SWAAY - October 30th, 2020
- World Series 2020: How the Dodgers built their NL champion roster through trades, free agency and the draft - CBS Sports - October 21st, 2020
- East Asian blepharoplasty - Wikipedia - October 2nd, 2020
- The Dark History Behind Double-Eyelid Surgery - October 2nd, 2020
- How Much Does Double Eyelid Surgery (Asian Blepharoplasty ... - September 12th, 2020
- Potential Positive Readout Of Aurinia Pharmaceuticals' Phase 2/3 AUDREY Trial Could Bring Best-In-Class Eye Drops For Dry Eye Syndrome - Seeking Alpha - September 9th, 2020
- PSA: Be Extra Careful When Youre Trying To Open A Vacuum Flask That Is Feeling Uncommonly Tight - The Rakyat Post - August 21st, 2020
- The 'fox eye' beauty trend continues to spread online. But critics insist it's racist - NewsDio - August 18th, 2020
- For black lives to matter, all looks must matter - The Times of India Blog - August 17th, 2020
- The 'fox eye' beauty trend continues to spread online. But critics insist it's racist - CNN - August 12th, 2020
- Covid19 Impact on Asia Pacific Aesthetics Market 2020- Global Trends and Regional Forecast to 2023 - 3rd Watch News - July 15th, 2020
- Fans rally behind Grace Chow and her surgical scars - The Star Online - July 15th, 2020
- The Dark Side of K-Pop Was What Drew Me to the Genre - Allure - April 21st, 2020