Our eyes are often the first thing that people notice when looking at us. According to New York facial plastic surgeon Edward S. Kwak, MD, with our eyes at center stage, it will continue to be a huge aesthetic focus for the year. Right now with everyone wearing masks, our eyes are really often the only part of our face that were presenting to the world, to our friends, our family, and our new social acquaintances, says Dr. Kwak. So were scrutinizing ourselves, even more about our eye appearance. A tired or sterner appearance to the eyes can present the wrong impression, especially if thats all were seeing. Thats why I believe theres so much interest in treatments for the eyes right now. We spoke with Dr. Kwak to learn more and understand his approach to eyelid rejuvenation.
What are the top requested and performed eye-rejuvenating procedures?My most requested treatment is for rejuvenation of the upper eyelid appearance. As we age, the upper eyelid skin changes very predictably. This skin is sensitive to aging due to its thinness along with the known changes related to aging such as loss of collagen and exposure to gravity. As a result, the skin becomes redundant on the upper eyelid and that can hood over, lowering the upper lid crease height and potentially obstructing the opening to the eyes. The aesthetic consequences are faces that appear sterner or tired. The upper eyelid blepharoplasty is a procedure that can re-establish a youthful upper eyelid.
What advice can you give a prospective patient when researching procedures and surgeons?The best advice I can give my patients and prospective patients is to see a plastic surgeon who specializes in eyelid surgery. There are subtle nuances to this surgery that the experienced surgeon can incorporate to achieve natural outcomes safely.
What do you consider to be an ideal outcome for upper blepharoplasty?One that achieves a natural shape to the eye, blending in with the rest of the facial features. The youthful upper eyelid has a youthful eyebrow that does not encroach onto the eyelid, a defined, delicate, and properly positioned upper lid crease, fullness centrally and laterally, and proper eyelid opening.
What are the risks associated with the procedure?The upper blepharoplasty in general is a very safe procedure. Typically, it can be performed in the office under local anesthetics, or for some who are doing multiple procedures, can be performed under mild sedation or twilight anesthesia. The most common risks are more cosmetic in nature, specifically asymmetries and cosmetic irregularities. Every patient should understand that surgical procedures do carry riskssome of the less common risks include dry eyes, scarring, infection, bleeding or bruising.
What can a patient expect in terms of the recovery process and follow-up?In terms of the timeline, this procedure is done in our office and takes approximately one hour to perform. Patients are able to go home immediately afterward. The first week there is some expected swelling and mild bruising. The upper eyelid region has sutures in the area that patients take care of with the use of bacterial ointment. Approximately one week after surgery, I see patients back in my office to remove sutures on the upper eyelid. By this time, most of the bruising is usually at its tail end, and after this visit swelling tends to dissipate quicker. Most patients are able to return to work or engage in social activities usually around 10-14 days. For the first 3-4 weeks, we dont recommend strenuous activities or exercising. If they have a big event or have an engagement where they need to be photo-ready, we usually recommend a 4-6 week cushion.
What do you consider to be an ideal outcome for lower blepharoplasty?For the lower eyelid, the ideal outcome is to have a contour that seamlessly transitions into the midface and cheek regions with an overlying skin that is smooth and consistent in color. Oftentimes this surgery entails removal or repositioning of lower eyelid fat. This fat is normally found around the eyes and is not subject to fluctuations in weight, but it does change in position due to time, gravity and genetics.
What can often make the lower lid age in appearance is the prominence of a groove between the eyelid and the cheek called the nasojugal groove (tear trough deformities). The groove can be addressed by softening the transition between the eye and cheek either by removing redundancies in the fat or by repositioning the fat within the groove. To further soften the transition out laterally, a facial fat transfer (harvesting ones fat from either the abdomen or flanks and repositioning in the face) can be incorporated to build up the cheek. Once the deeper contours of the eyelid have been addressed, the overlying lower eyelid skin often needs to be addressed for skin redundancies, wrinkling, or color discrepancies. For these, a lower lid skin pinch or a skin laser resurfacing can be included in the treatment regimen.
What are the risks associated with the procedure?The lower eyelid blepharoplasty is a very safe procedure. To perform safely, I recommend mild sedation or general anesthesia. One of the biggest concerns after the surgery is preserving or maintaining the lower eyelid position. In some patients, especially patients seeking treatment for age-related lower eyelid changes, they may also have a coexisting laxity to the lower eyelid tone. If this is not corrected or identified preoperatively, a lower lid blepharoplasty could lead to exacerbations of laxity or lower eyelid retraction.
What can a patient expect in terms of the recovery process and follow-up?In general, the lower eyelid blepharoplasty heals fairly predictably. The first week, the patient can expect some swelling and bruising thats appropriate for surgery. I have patients who come in usually one week after surgery to monitor their progress and for suture removal. By the second week, the bruising and swelling are resolving and I tell most patients are able to resume social activities and return to work usually after 10-14 days afterward. If they have a big event to plan around, its safe to recommend on average around 4-6 weeks of leeway.
What do you consider to be an ideal outcome for a brow lift?As we all age, the upper third of our face descends, creating deeper furrows or wrinkles along the forehead. The brow encroaches onto the eyes creating a hooded appearance extending to the lateral canthus and lateral orbital rim. To correct this, a forehead lift or brow lift can restore the brows to a more youthful position. Ideally, for women, we want the brow to taper upward above the orbital rim peaking between our lateral limbus or lateral canthus. For men, we want to set the brow slightly lower where the brow position is around the level of the orbital rim.
What are the risks associated with the procedure?A brow lift is a very safe procedure. This surgery typically involves four small hidden incisions within the hairline. To perform this surgery, we use small cameras and microscopic instruments to be able to release the structures that hold the brow position in place. Once the brow is released, the brow can be precisely repositioned to a more youthful position. Some common side effects are bruising and swelling that subsides within 1-2 weeks. Some patients experience temporary numbness along the forehead and crown region.
What can a patient expect in terms of the recovery process and follow-up?The brow lift is performed as an outpatient surgery under mild sedation. This procedure takes approximately 90 minutes to perform and patients leave with a compression dressing and, occasionally, a surgical drain to minimize swelling and bruising. The patient will return the following day to remove the dressing and surgical drain. We will then apply a removable compression dressing thats recommended to be on as much as possible for the first month. Following one week, the patient will come back to our office to remove the sutures which are hidden in the hairline. After this visit, the swelling and bruising are resolving. Usually, towards the end of the second week, patients are returning to work and engaging socially. Patients tend to heal from this in a predictable fashion, patients are usually looking well-healed at around 3-4 weeks.
What do you consider to be an ideal outcome for eyebrow transplant?The ideal outcome for an eyebrow hair transplant is one that accounts for the facial shape and blends into the eye and face naturally. In addition to density concerns, a natural outcome involves mimicking the existing hair follicle orientation for the transplanted hair follicles.
What are the risks associated with the procedure?Eyebrow hair transplantation is an extremely safe procedure to perform and is often performed under local anesthetics in the office. The hair follicles are harvested from the back of the head or occipital region. Individual hair follicles are harvested and transplanted in the eyebrow. Common reactions after the surgery are swelling, redness bumps along the transplant side, and mild bruising.
What can a patient expect in terms of the recovery process and follow-up?The eyebrow hair transplantation typically is a half-day process and is performed under local anesthetics. The hair that is harvested from the back of the head is harvested using a technique called follicular unit extraction (FUE). These transplanted hairs are placed individually to the recipient sites of the eyebrow. Patients leave the same day, the first 24-48 hours there is mild soreness, swelling, and spotting in the donor and recipient sites. Patients are usually able to begin exercising about 10-14 days after surgery. As healing occurs, some small scabs can develop. These usually occur 1-2 weeks after surgery. Gradually the new hair follicles will grow, with final outcomes about a year after the procedure. Most patients do well with one treatment session, however, some patients who have previous scarring or trauma may require additional procedures.
At NewBeauty, we get the most trusted information from the beauty authority delivered right to your inbox
Find a NewBeauty "Top Beauty Doctor" Near you
Continue reading here:
Everything A Plastic Surgeon Wants You to Know About Eyelid Rejuvenation - NewBeauty Magazine
- Opinion | The Potentially Deadly Pursuit of Muscle Mass - Medpage Today - May 1st, 2022
- 5 eye rejuvenation treatments that work - The Georgia Straight - April 18th, 2022
- This Is the Most Common Plastic Surgery Procedure Among Millennials - Yahoo Life - March 25th, 2022
- Lower Blepharoplasty: Things You Need to Know About Lower ... - January 21st, 2022
- Do You Want To Get A Foxy Eyes Lift? Read This Before Making The Decision - South Florida Caribbean News - January 21st, 2022
- Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty Overview: Cost, Recovery ... - December 25th, 2021
- Americans Spent $8.7 Billion on Aesthetic Plastic Surgery in First Half of 2021 - happi.com - December 25th, 2021
- The advantages of travelling to Toronto for a Blepharoplasty - mtltimes.ca - December 25th, 2021
- Is screen time really causing your dark circles? - Metro - November 25th, 2021
- Best Blepharoplasty in New York City Lara Devgan, MD ... - November 25th, 2021
- Cosmetic Oculoplastic Surgeon NYC | Blepharoplasty - Dr ... - November 10th, 2021
- Blepharoplasty - Top Plastic Surgeon New York | Dr. John E ... - November 10th, 2021
- Lower Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery) - October 30th, 2021
- Everything you need to know about Eye Lift/Blepharoplasty ... - October 30th, 2021
- Blepharoplasty Treatment Market 2021, Global Industry Size, Share, Analysis, Trends, Overview and Segmentation 2026 - Northwest Diamond Notes - October 30th, 2021
- Coming Soon to Acclaimed AVIE! Medspa in Leesburg, VA: BBL HERO, a Revolutionary New Technology For Correcting Hyperpigmentation and Signs of Aging -... - September 2nd, 2021
- Medical Aesthetics Market Report Highlights The Competitive Scenario With Impact Of Drivers And Challenges 2027 UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel... - September 2nd, 2021
- Eyelid Surgery: Plastic Surgery | Cleveland Clinic - August 21st, 2021
- Surgical and Non-Surgical Eyelid Rejuvenation Options Now Provided By Dr. Robert W. Sheffield Provided For Sagging Eyelids and Hollowness of The Eye... - August 21st, 2021
- Dr. Kristina Zakhary selected as Top Rhinoplasty & Facial Surgeon of the Year by IAOTP - Digital Journal - August 8th, 2021
- Cosmetic Surgery Demand Is On Rise Amidst Covid-19 Pandemic: The Reasons Behind Wont Surprise You - TheHealthSite - July 24th, 2021
- Bride-to-be spends ten times the price of her wedding dress on cosmetic surgery - Gloucestershire Live - July 9th, 2021
- Bride-to-be splashes out 2.3k on cosmetic surgery - and 200 on the dress - Stoke-on-Trent Live - July 9th, 2021
- Treatment of wound healing with sequential therapy | CCID - Dove Medical Press - July 9th, 2021
- Global Blepharoplasty Market 2020 Trending Research Report | Advance Medical Systems Inc, Luminera Derm Ltd, GTG Wellness Sdn, ThermiGen LLC The... - June 12th, 2021
- Eyelid Surgery Market 2021 | Industry Brief Analysis by Top Countries Data with Market Size, Growth Drivers, Investment Opportunity and Projected Huge... - June 12th, 2021
- The Pandemic Prompted Men to Get Aesthetic Treatmentsand Here's Exactly What They're Having Done - NewBeauty Magazine - June 12th, 2021
- Blepharoplasty Market to Witness Notable Growth by 2026 Covid-19 Analysis KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - June 12th, 2021
- Bethesda-area plastic surgery has been on the rise during the pandemic - BethesdaMagazine.com - June 12th, 2021
- Global Blepharoplasty Treatment Market Research Report, Growth Trends and Competitive Analysis 2021-2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 31st, 2021
- Bio-pharma Market is Predicted to See Lucrative Gains Over 2021-2027 Covid-19 Analysis The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 31st, 2021
- 'Botched' Season 7: Air time, how to live stream, plot, cast and all you need to know about the E! reality sh - MEAWW - May 19th, 2021
- 6 Innovations to Know About From 2021's Biggest Aesthetic Meeting - NewBeauty Magazine - May 6th, 2021
- These Are The Highest Paid Doctors In America - 24/7 Wall St. - April 22nd, 2021
- Doc Groups Object to New Prior Authorization Rules in Medicare - MedPage Today - April 22nd, 2021
- Global Blepharoplasty Market Trigger Industry Growth In The Coming Years KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - April 5th, 2021
- Blepharoplasty Market Technology Growth, Supply Demand and Analysis by Types 2020-2026 The Courier - The Courier - April 5th, 2021
- I've Had Dark Circles All My Life, and These Are the Only Products That Work - Yahoo Eurosport UK - April 5th, 2021
- Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty) Recovery Timeline - March 9th, 2021
- Price transparency and staying competitive - Medical Economics - March 9th, 2021
- Top Most Read 2020: Blepharoplasty Market Future Demand and Leading Players Updates by Forecast to 2026 The Courier - The Courier - February 17th, 2021
- What Procedure Is Going To Get You The Fox Eye Look According To Our Experts At the Naderi Center - PR Web - February 17th, 2021
- [Full text] A Case Report Illustrating the Spontaneous Vision Recovery After Inadv | IMCRJ - Dove Medical Press - February 3rd, 2021
- Woman, 35, who had baby with stepson, 21, after romping behind husbands back shows off their new child for f - The Sun - January 31st, 2021
- The Latest Fashion Trend On Tik Tok Latest News, Breaking News, Top News Headlines - Explica - January 29th, 2021
- Blepharoplasty Treatment Market Trends, Size, Segments, Emerging Technologies and Industry Growth by Forecast to 2027 Murphy's Hockey Law - Murphy's... - January 25th, 2021
- Plastic Surgeons Are Experiencing a Push in 'Post-Pandemic Makeovers'Here's What Patients Are Requesting - NewBeauty Magazine - January 22nd, 2021
- Russian weight loss influencer in relationship with stepson tells of her unusual life - 7NEWS.com.au - January 14th, 2021
- 2021's Hottest Trends in Aesthetics | The London Resideny - The Resident - January 12th, 2021
- Blepharoplasty Market 2026 Global Insights on Trends, Growth Drivers, COVID-19 Impact Analysis, Macroeconomic Indicators, Growth Drivers, and Future... - January 9th, 2021
- Seven Industry Experts Predict The Biggest Beauty Trends Of 2021 - Forbes - January 5th, 2021
- All About Eyelid and Brow Lift Surgery - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - December 26th, 2020
- Popularity in plastic surgery thanks to the pandemic - Toronto Sun - December 19th, 2020
- Blepharoplasty New Jersey | The Peer Group for Plastic Surgery - December 17th, 2020
- Dr. Paul Vitenas Named One of Castle Connelly's Top Doctors Five Years in a Row - Benzinga - December 4th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: What Are the Key Players Evolving In the Growth of the Blepharoplasty Market? - The Blend - December 2nd, 2020
- 7 Plastic Surgeons Predict the Biggest Aesthetic Trends of 2021 - NewBeauty Magazine - November 24th, 2020
- Korea Medical Aesthetics Market Analysis, COVID-19 Impact,Outlook, Opportunities, Size, Share Forecast and Supply Demand 2021-2027|Trusted Business... - November 17th, 2020
- Global Blepharoplasty Market Size |Incredible Possibilities and Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Illadel Graff Supply - November 13th, 2020
- Global Blepharoplasty Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2025 - re:Jerusalem - November 11th, 2020
- Recent Studies of Global Blepharoplasty Treatment Market Forecast says Healthy Pick Up in CAGR By 2020-2027 | Companies like Advance Medical Systems,... - November 11th, 2020
- Blepharoplasty Treatment Estimated to Soar Higher During 2020-2025 - The Think Curiouser - November 7th, 2020
- The 'fox eye' beauty trend continues to spread online. But critics insist it's racist - Myjoyonline.com - November 7th, 2020
- Blepharoplasty Treatment Market Shares, Strategies and Forecast Worldwide, 2019 to 2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 22nd, 2020
- Non-Invasive Skin Tightening Devices Market: Increasing demand for pain-free skin tightening treatment among patients is one of the major driver -... - October 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Blepharoplasty Industry 2020: Global Market Trends, Size, Top Key Players, Demand Overview and Forecast Research to 2026 - Crypto... - September 29th, 2020
- Blepharoplasty Treatment Market: Quantitative Analysis from 2019 to 2025 to Enable the Stakeholders to Capitalize on the Prevailing Blepharoplasty... - September 25th, 2020
- Did Joe Biden Have Plastic Surgery? Trump Makes Claim Without Evidence, Has History Of Making Similar Accusations - International Business Times - September 25th, 2020
- The worlds first and only Hmong plastic surgeon helps his patients to reconstruct their lives. As a young refugee from Laos, David Thao started with... - September 22nd, 2020
- What's the most popular plastic surgery procedure | 1010 WINS - 1010WINS - September 20th, 2020
- Weber Facial Plastic Surgery Ranks No. 3972 on the 2020 Inc. 5000 List - PRNewswire - September 18th, 2020
- Eye Bag Removal: Benefits of Having the Eye Treatment - Pulse Headlines - September 18th, 2020
- COVID 19 Impact on Blepharoplasty Market 2020 Industry Top Manufacturers-Stanford Health Care, USA Plastic Surgery, London Bridge Plastic Surgery,... - September 18th, 2020
- Aesthetic Medicine Market Trends, Companies, Driver, Segmentation, Forecast to 2024 - The Research Process - September 18th, 2020
- Weber Facial Plastic Surgery Ranks No. 3972 on the 2020 Inc. 5000 List - Yahoo Finance - September 16th, 2020
- Top Doctors Say They've Been Getting This Unexpected Request From Plastic Surgery Patients - NewBeauty Magazine - September 10th, 2020
- Dr. Jose Rodrguez-Feliz Continues Partnership With Exclusive Haute Beauty Network - PR Web - September 5th, 2020
- Blepharoplasty Treatment Market: Expansion Strategies Set to Generate Substantial Revenue in the near Future - The Scarlet - September 4th, 2020
- Eyelid Surgery Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2028 - Scientect - September 4th, 2020
- Global and Asia Pacific Blepharoplasty Treatment Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2027 Best Companies included in report Advance Medical Systems,... - September 2nd, 2020