Getting older isnt what it used to bewomen are embracing natural gray hair, fine lines, and lifes other big changes with more enthusiasm than ever. They call it: aging gracefully. We love to see it, of course, but its not always a walk in the park. Being hit with the realization that you cant run as fast as you once could can be a hard pill to swallow, and, *squints*, when did these fonts get so small? Not to mention, just because some find skipping Botox empowering doesnt mean beauty standards have (poof!) disappeared.
Its a push and pull, aging is. And the least you can do for your journey is find practices that support you through it; that keep you healthy, confident, and grounded. And guess what? Those habits dont all have to be (in fact, we recommend most of them arent) about the way you look. Most of us can probably agree that, as you get older, looking good comes with feeling good, and feeling good comes in many forms.
To help you strike this ever-changing balance and, most importantly, enjoy life as it comes, we reached out to dermatologists, dietitians, doctors, and more for some pro self-care tips to make the aging process easierfrom what to eat to when to see a doctor to how to change your makeup routine and more. Take what you need from these recommendations, and go make the coming years your own.
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
My number one tip for aging gracefully is SPF, says Aaron Barry, celebrity makeup and hair artist. No matter your age, gender, race or skin type, sun damage accelerates the aging process. More importantly, it increases risk of skin cancer.
You can now even prep your skin for makeup with SPF primers, Barry adds. I like to use the Thrive Causemetics Sunproof 3-in-1 Priming Sunscreen with SPF 37 at the beginning of my makeup application. Not only does it create the perfect base for foundations but its hydrating, controls oil, and most importantly, protects the skin from harmful UV rays.
If youd rather have a regular ole sunscreen, check out our best sunscreen round-up.
Women over 50 should see their OB-GYN annually, says JoAnn Pinkerton, M.D., professor of obstetrics and gynecology and director of the Midlife Health Center at the University of Virginia Health System. And they should make sure to see one who is knowledgable about perimenopause and the menopausal transition.
In addition, Pinkerton recommends getting mammograms every one to two years, making sure your pap smear is up to date, getting a colon cancer screening, and regularly getting your blood pressure and lipid levels tested. With your doctor, review significant family history of breast, ovarian, uterine or colon cancer, she adds, as well as heart disease, stroke, or blood clotting. All of these practices and protocols will help you remain healthy and ideally, prevent or catch chronic illness if it ever occurs.
People often follow the natural eye contour when applying eye shadow which can create a droop, explains Barry. To lift the eye, I use the outer corner of the brow as my guide, and blend eyeshadow up and out towards the outer corner of the brow. This creates a lifted and a lengthened eye shape.
On top of that, Barry recommends staying away from heavy eyeliner. He says it can look harsh and draws attention to drooping lower lids. Instead, he suggests tight lining the upper lid by applying liner to the upper inner lash line. Its not stark, but still frames and defines the eye, he says.
Dr. Pinkerton warns that fluctuating estrogen levels may lead to an increase in low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, also known as bad cholesterol, and can therefore increase risk of heart disease.
It is super important to remember that the hair that we had in our 20s is not the hair that we have as we transition into our 50s and beyond, explains Aloxxi stylist Jessica Wall Innella. She adds that you may experience changes such as thinning and dryness, both of which can be remedied by the right products.
For an amazing mousse that will provide soft hold and lift minus the stickiness, my go to product is Maxxams Kiss, says Shab Reslan, HairClub hair health expert and trichologist. For a super light-weight thickening spray formulated to be sprayed liberally throughout the hair, I love Neuma Blow Out Mist.
For a good moisturizing, low-maintenance treatment, Innella recommends Aloxxis Essential 7 Oil Leave-In Conditioning Cream.
Aim to move for at least 30 minutes daily. Dr. Pinkerton says you can even disperse it over small increments throughout the day to make it feel more approachable, if that works for you. You can try walking, some gentle yoga, or if youre feeling particularly strong, some resistance training or pilates.
Contour and blush placement is key in achieving lift, says Barry. To ensure youre applying it in the right place, Barry recommends finding your cheekbone and applying a cream contour or bronzer beneath it to create shadow and depth, repeating the technique along the jawline. To blend it out, he swears by the Arts Oval 6 brush. It really hugs the shape of the cheek bone giving you great definition, he adds.
One extremely important nutrient that often gets over-looked is water, explains Heather Mangieri, R.D.N., a sports and wellness dietitian in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Even slight dehydration can negatively impact mood, energy levels, and the ability to focus. She adds that dehydration can also result in dry skin that appears more wrinkled.
To make sure you get the amount of water you need, Mangieri says to start drinking first thing in the morning and continue throughout the entire day. Filling a large water bottle in the morning and taking it with you wherever you go can help you remember to drink, she adds. (Just ask Oprah!)
Especially as menopause moves in, Dr. Pinkerton recommends paying special attention to your mental health and talking about it with your doctor. Do not ignore depressive symptoms, she says. Beware that perimenopause hormonal changes are associated with an increased risk of depression, particularly if you have had depression at puberty or postpartum.
A big mistake I often see is the overuse of powder, which can appear cake-y and drying on the skin, explains Barry. Thats the opposite of the look you want to achieve, which is why he recommends opting for a very light dusting of a radiant, hydrating product like BY Terrys Hyaluronic Hydra-Powder as a finishing makeup step. This helps maintain moisture in the skin, it blurs imperfections, minimizes pores, fills in fine lines, and controls shine without drying you out, he adds.
Societally, we face a lack of conversation around one of the biggest life changes a human can experience: menopause. But it should not be a taboo subject, and its up to you to help change that (and make the process easier for yourself) by actively researching and discussing it with your friends, family, and doctor.
Perimenopause (or pre-menopause) can affect women as early as in their 30s. According to Dr. Pinkerton, some common symptoms are:
To learn more, visit menopause.org or check out the North American Menopause Societys Menopause Guide Book.
With declining estrogen levels after menopause, you may start to lose bone density more quickly, which can increase risk of osteoporosis, explains Dr. Pinkerton. This leads to increased fracture risk, which is why its important to ensure youre getting enough calcium to maintain strength.
You can do so by either taking a calcium supplement, or ensuring to include calcium-rich or calcium-fortified foods in your diet, such as dairy, orange juice, and whole grains, says Centr Nutritionist Angie Asche, M.S., R.D., C.S.S.D.
Or as Innella calls them, hairs of wisdom. Innella encourages embracing gray hair and says your stylist can help. Having a plan with your stylist about what the transition looks like is key, she says, adding that it often includes lightening around the hairline for a better blend. Incorporating highlights or dimension will defuse the part line and span out the time between touchups, she says.
You might notice that your gray strands are a bit coarser and more wirey than usual, which is why Innella recommends a moisturizing hair mask like Aloxxi Instaboost Colour Conditioning Masque in the shade Silver Fox, which conditions and keeps color fresh.
Asche says green tea contains antioxidants that fight inflammation, so she recommends regularly having a cup, especially if you fight any inflammatory conditions such as arthritis or inflammatory bowel syndrome (IBS).
Its easy to slack off on the zzzs when youre young and can easily recover. But as you age, sleep becomes crucial to living life fully. Dr Pinkerton recommends you make it a priority to get at least seven to eight hours of rest in every night to remain alert and sharp.
You probably already know that you cant drink like you used to. Not to burst any more bubbles, but Dr. Pinkerton recommends cutting the wine to one glass dailyideally less than that. Alcohol use among older adults is on the rise, which creates risk for heart and liver problems, memory issues, mood disorders, and more, according to Harvard Medical School.
There is a natural slowdown in metabolism as we get older and the intensity of activity starts to slow down, too. Those changes mean that fewer calories are needed to maintain a healthy body weight, explains Mangieri. Choosing nutrient-dense foods becomes necessary to meet daily nutrient requirements without over-consuming calories.
There are many ways you can incorporate nutritionally diverse meals into your dietone of them being through a quick, easy smoothie. A smoothie with Ripple (fortified pea milk), banana, peanut butter, protein powder, chia seeds, and spinach will provide vitamin D, calcium, magnesium, and many other vitamins and minerals to support optimal health, adds Asche.
Muscle mass and kidney function tend to decline with age, diminishing the ability to conserve water, explains Dana Cohen M.D., integrative medical doctor in New York City. Additionally, the kidneys ability to remove toxins from the blood declines with age and requires more water, which means older people lose more water to normal kidney function than younger people. As we age our thirst sensitivity declines, which means we are less likely to notice when we are dehydrated.
Thats why, in addition to drinking plain water and eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, Dr. Cohen recommends that women over 50 take an electrolyte supplement with no added sugar like Cure, a brand that she medically advises, to absorb more fluids and replace electrolytes lost from exercise, alcohol, illness and common medications.
Scheduling an appointment for Botox or filler injections may seem like a quick fix, but the reality of it is, theyre high-maintenance and come with a slew of risks that not everyone talks about. According to Dr. Mikailov, Botoxwhich prevents wrinkles by essentially inhibiting muscle contractionusually requires two to four annual injections for the ideal benefit.
Filler, which is often use to plump lips or lift certain areas of the face, can be made of various substances, says Dr. Mikailov, and if done wrong, can have serious adverse effects including stroke, blindness, severe scarring, and permanent filler bumps that happen when filler migrates.
Aging gracefully does not require going under the knife or plastic surgery, says Dr. Mikailov. Establish a relationship with a dermatologist who can guide you to your goals.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
Go here to see the original:
How to Look Younger and Age Gracefully, According to Experts - Anti-Aging Tips - Prevention Magazine
- Aesthetic Equipment Market: Rising incidences of obesity to drive the market - BioSpace - May 15th, 2022
- Blind cat and her partially-sighted brother need a loving home - Bromsgrove Advertiser - May 15th, 2022
- More than five million skin cancer cases are diagnosed each year. Here's how to help prevent it. - KENS5.com - May 15th, 2022
- Tarsus Presents Results of Two Studies Highlighting Demodex Blepharitis Patient Impact and Burden at the ASCRS 2022 Annual Meeting - Yahoo Finance - May 1st, 2022
- Someone shot him in the eye at a Chesterfield shopping center: 'Somebody needs to be held accountable' - CBS 6 News Richmond WTVR - May 1st, 2022
- Dog who underwent full facelift to help him see is now ready to find new home - The Mirror - May 1st, 2022
- Anti-Aging Therapies and Services Market Size, Share, Growth, Demand, Top Manufacturers and Forecast by 2029 themobility.club - themobility.club - May 1st, 2022
- Wrinkly dog plagued with skin and eye issues due to 'extreme breeding' - cumbriacrack.com - Cumbria Crack - April 18th, 2022
- Daxi, the New, Long-Lasting Neurotoxin, Is Awaiting FDA Approval Here's What Dermatologists Think - Allure - April 18th, 2022
- The Eye Health Tips You Need to Know for a Lifetime of Sharp Vision - Prevention Magazine - April 18th, 2022
- Plastic surgeons name BTS's V as the top celebrity that male patients want to look like - allkpop - April 18th, 2022
- Cancer: Itchy eyelid could be a sign of eye cancer - sufferers first noticeable symptom - Express - April 5th, 2022
- I splashed 800 to tackle my droopy eyelids but my face BALLOONED my son couldnt even look at me... - The US Sun - April 5th, 2022
- Computer vision syndrome, mask-associated dry eye & more with David Aizuss, MD - American Medical Association - April 5th, 2022
- My glass is definitely full Douglas Dr. Doug Heath, a beloved DJ, never stopped preaching the power of positive thinking - San Antonio Express-News - April 5th, 2022
- Tha Invests Further In UK With Latest Dry Eye Launch - HBW Insight - April 5th, 2022
- Slit Lamps Market: Increasing risk of cataracts among the diabetic population tp drive the market - BioSpace - April 5th, 2022
- How long is the laser eye surgery recovery time? - OCL Vision - March 25th, 2022
- What Eyedrops Are Best to Use After Cataract Surgery ... - March 25th, 2022
- Management of Severe Multifactorial Eyelid Ectropion With Lateral Tarsal Strip Procedure and Full-Thickness Skin Graft - Cureus - March 25th, 2022
- Beverly Hills MD announces the "Beverly Hills MD Flawless Eyes Collection" featuring Thick + Full Brow Enhancing Serum - PR Newswire - March 25th, 2022
- The 7 Biggest Plastic Surgery Trends of 2022 | Plastic Surgeons Predict the Most Popular Procedures - Allure - January 21st, 2022
- Eyelid Surgery, Botox and Fillers in Boston by Dr. Mitesh ... - January 21st, 2022
- Eye cancers blink and you'll miss them - Deniliquin Pastoral Times - January 21st, 2022
- AffaMed Therapeutics, licensee of DEXTENZA in Certain Asian Markets, Doses Their First Patient in Clinical Trial Evaluating the Safety and Efficacy of... - January 21st, 2022
- Global Cosmetic Surgical Surgery and Procedure Market Size 2021 Trend and Opportunities Discovery Sports Media - Discovery Sports Media - January 21st, 2022
- Mum's charity challenge after toddler's lazy eye turned out to be brain tumour - The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald - January 21st, 2022
- Fixing Upper Eyelid Surgery Gone Wrong | Botched Upper ... - January 7th, 2022
- How to Fix a Droopy Eyelid without Surgery - 7 steps - January 7th, 2022
- Ophthalmic trauma: the top 100 cited articles in Ophthalmology journals | Eye - Nature.com - January 7th, 2022
- Pepper Pikes three newest council members take oath of office, are excited to get to work - cleveland.com - January 7th, 2022
- Botox Is More Popular Than Ever. Heres What You Should Know Before You Get It. - Robb Report - December 25th, 2021
- How to manage your eyelid bags: home remedies and surgery - Spire Healthcare - December 25th, 2021
- Spaceflight leads to brow elevation without affecting eyelid position: Study - Medical Dialogues - December 12th, 2021
- Innovative sleeping bag for the treatment of "squashed ice" syndrome associated with space travel - Amico Hoops - December 12th, 2021
- Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) - Better Health Channel - November 10th, 2021
- Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery Before And After Photos ... - November 10th, 2021
- Home - Walton Eye Care - November 10th, 2021
- 53 Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures In Korea ... - November 10th, 2021
- Ocular Therapeutix Announces Success in Patent Appeal Brought by Mati Therapeutics, Inc. - Yahoo Finance - November 10th, 2021
- Your Jaw Is Going To Drop When You See Selena Gomezs Face Transformation - SheFinds - November 10th, 2021
- Your Jaw Is Going To Drop When You See Adeles Real Face - SheFinds - November 10th, 2021
- Column: The basics of plastic surgery | South Lake Tahoe - SouthTahoeNow.com - South Tahoe Now - November 10th, 2021
- Opioid Analgesics Sales to Grow by 1.7X through 2031 as the Demand for Post-Surgery Pain Management Continues to Rise: Future Market Insights - Yahoo... - October 30th, 2021
- Aesthetic plastic surgery practice offers the first and only FDA-approved injectable for cellulite - UpperMichigansSource.com - October 30th, 2021
- HIV retinopathy: Causes, symptoms, and more - Medical News Today - October 30th, 2021
- Anti Aging Products and Therapies Market 2021 Industry Analysis, Opportunity, Segmentation and Forecast to 2027 The Host - The Host - October 30th, 2021
- Wayne Linekers club sued by Love Island's Theo Campbell over champagne cork injury - The Mirror - October 30th, 2021
- Washington Woman Warns that Halloween Contact Lenses Almost Left Her Blind: 'a Nightmare' - PEOPLE - October 30th, 2021
- ASK AN OPHTHALMOLOGIST | EXPERT ADVICE - MAG THE WEEKLY - Mag The Weekly Magazine - October 18th, 2021
- Weve spent tens of thousands on surgery can you guess what weve had done and whose nip and tucks cost t... - The Sun - October 18th, 2021
- 'Sir David Attenborough doesnt look well its worrying' - concerned fans speak out - Daily Express - October 18th, 2021
- Frankel opens facial plastic surgery office in Mayfield Heights - Cleveland Jewish News - October 18th, 2021
- My face was MUMMIFIED after irreversible beauty treatment then my boyfriend DUMPED me as I look ancient... - The US Sun - October 18th, 2021
- Joan Collins sounds off on the Kardashians: 'There's an awful lot of surgery there' - Yahoo Life - October 6th, 2021
- Non-invasive eye surgery procedures to improve eyesight - Digital Journal - October 6th, 2021
- Dealing with dry eye in Arizona - KGUN - October 6th, 2021
- What is Rosacea? Experts Explain the Signs and Triggers - Prevention.com - October 6th, 2021
- Overproduction of tears and blocked ducts The major cause of Eye-watering says Dr. Aparna Ayyagari - APN News - October 6th, 2021
- Julia Morris just got an eyelid lift. Here's everything you need to know about the procedure. - Mamamia - September 2nd, 2021
- 3 Skincare Treatments Everyone is Talking About - StyleBlueprint - September 2nd, 2021
- Everyone Is Talking About This Viral Eye Cream for Bags - As Seen on TikTok - Newsweek - September 2nd, 2021
- Everything you need to know about botox - Times of India - September 2nd, 2021
- Exercises for droopy eyelids: What are they, and do they work? - Medical News Today - September 2nd, 2021
- Revance Announces Publication of Results on Static Glabellar Lines With Repeated Treatment of DaxibotulinumtoxinA for Injection From the SAKURA... - September 2nd, 2021
- Near Infrared Medical Imaging Market What Factors will drive the Market in Upcoming Years and How it is Going to Impact on Global Industry The... - August 21st, 2021
- Debris and Shrapnel Eye Injuries After Massive Beirut Explosion - MedPage Today - August 8th, 2021
- Ajaipal Kang, M.D.: What to know and do before having cosmetic surgery - GoErie.com - August 8th, 2021
- Global Single Use Ophthalmic Surgical Devices Market 2021 Growth, Latest Trend Analysis and Forecast 2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 24th, 2021
- Just a Little Prick: The Rise in Non-Invasive Male Cosmetic Procedures In an uncertain world - Men's health UK - July 24th, 2021
- Johnson & Johnson Vision Presents Scientific Data Validating Improved Surgical Outcomes With Latest Cataract Innovations And Legacy MGD Treatment... - July 24th, 2021
- Big Plastic Surgery Increase from 2015 to 2019 Underscores Normalization of Aesthetic Enhancements, says Beverly Hills Physicians - WFMZ Allentown - July 24th, 2021
- Dry eyes and floaters: Causes, treatment, and seeking help - Medical News Today - July 24th, 2021
- Did Joel Osteen get plastic surgery? Pastor once confirmed he wants to 'look good' - MEAWW - July 24th, 2021
- Admitting to myself Im losing my vision has been hard. Admitting it to other people has been harder - The Globe and Mail - July 24th, 2021
- Protect eyes at higher elevation | SteamboatToday.com - Steamboat Pilot and Today - July 9th, 2021
- How To Ensure You Stay On Top Of Your Wellness Game Even At Home - Femina - July 9th, 2021
- Having These 3 Facial Features Gets You Ahead At Work, Says Study - YourTango - July 9th, 2021
- Firefighter who had the worlds most extensive face transplant says hed run into the blaze again five yea... - The US Sun - July 9th, 2021
- Yes, Eyebrow Dandruff Is RealHere's How to Treat It The Healthy - msnNOW - July 9th, 2021