In his latest television series The Mating Game, Attenborough looks at what it takes to keep an entire species alive through spectacular scenes of courting and companionship. However, fans of the legendary conservationist became worried when a video posted by Netflix earlier this year saw Attenborough talking with only one eye open. Should we be worried about the star?
Appearing in the video, which was in aid of promoting his documentary, was not the first time that Attenborough has worried fans.
Talking at the United Nations Security Council via video message the star was also seen struggling with his left eye.One fan said: Sir David Attenborough doesnt look well its worrying me #climatemeeting." Whilst in a similar light another added: David Attenborough speaking at the moment and he really doesn't look well. Please, lord, wrap him in all the sustainable cotton wool you can find. Nothing wrong with his speaking though.
Despite concerns for his health, Attenborough spoke eloquently about the dangers of the climate emergency. In fact the legend has stated in the past that the condition of the planet is so bad that he might not be here to see humankind save the planet.
Some were concerned that Attenborough had had a stroke and jumped to the conclusion that his eye closure was a result of brain damage from a major health condition, but the man himself has never addressed this publicly and it remains unknown.
READ MORE: High blood pressure and cholesterol: Two foods to add to your diet 'help lower' both
To put fans' minds at rest, the stars drooping eyelid is most likely due to something quite common, according to Specsavers. The condition also known as ptosis is the name given to a sagging, heavy or droopy upper eyelid, which can affect one or both eyes.
Although individuals from any age can suffer from the condition, it is most common in later life. Some people are born with the condition, although this is rare.Severe droopy eyelid can lead to reduced vision depending on how much the eyelid covers your eye.
As muscles in the eye which are responsible for lifting the lid start to stretch, it can cause the eyelid to fall. This can occur as a natural reaction to ageing but can also be brought on by trauma, high stress and neurological issues.
When a child has a droopy eyelid from birth it is called congenital ptosis and occurs when there is a problem with the levator muscle that raises the upper eyelid.One type of congenital ptosis is Marcus Gunn jaw winking syndrome.
This is where the eyelid appears to lift when the childs jaw moves due to an abnormal connection of the upper eyelid and nerve that helps to move the jaw. Its often noticed when a baby is chewing or feeding.
On inspection of the eye, an optometrist will decide how severe the condition is and what treatments are best for the individual.
Often, doctors wont treat children with ptosis. They will check their eyes regularly and probably use drops, patches, or glasses to treat the condition if it gets progressively worse. The doctor will also watch the eye to see if your child needs surgery as they get older.
For adults, treatment usually does mean surgery. Your doctor may remove extra skin and tuck the muscle that lifts the lid, or the doctor may reattach and strengthen that muscle.
Individuals may also be able to wear glasses with a special crutch built in. It lifts your eyelids so you can see better. That helps avoid surgery.
Sometimes, ptosis can cure overtime, but this is unlikely if the condition has progressed due to age. No matter what the onset of the condition is, it is important to seek medical attention for any noticeable or sudden symptoms or eyelid problems.
Seeking medical attention is important as researcher Dr Willem van den Bosch said that eyelid droop could be associated with two painful conditions.
Inward rotation of the eyelid, or entropion, leads to the eyelashes rubbing against the surface of the eye, the cornea.This can lead to severe irritation of the eye, and to corneal damage.
Outward rotation of the eyelid, or ectropion, also leads to irritation, both of the eye and the eyelid.As the tear duct is no longer in contact with the surface of the eye, there is also no way for the eye to remove tears easily.
Despite these possible complications, for his age, Attenborough is in fairly good health as far as we know, with his eye not causing any long-term complications or stopping him from carrying out his work.
'Sir David Attenborough doesnt look well its worrying' - concerned fans speak out - Daily Express
- Aesthetic Equipment Market: Rising incidences of obesity to drive the market - BioSpace - May 15th, 2022
- Blind cat and her partially-sighted brother need a loving home - Bromsgrove Advertiser - May 15th, 2022
- More than five million skin cancer cases are diagnosed each year. Here's how to help prevent it. - KENS5.com - May 15th, 2022
- Tarsus Presents Results of Two Studies Highlighting Demodex Blepharitis Patient Impact and Burden at the ASCRS 2022 Annual Meeting - Yahoo Finance - May 1st, 2022
- Someone shot him in the eye at a Chesterfield shopping center: 'Somebody needs to be held accountable' - CBS 6 News Richmond WTVR - May 1st, 2022
- Dog who underwent full facelift to help him see is now ready to find new home - The Mirror - May 1st, 2022
- Anti-Aging Therapies and Services Market Size, Share, Growth, Demand, Top Manufacturers and Forecast by 2029 themobility.club - themobility.club - May 1st, 2022
- Wrinkly dog plagued with skin and eye issues due to 'extreme breeding' - cumbriacrack.com - Cumbria Crack - April 18th, 2022
- Daxi, the New, Long-Lasting Neurotoxin, Is Awaiting FDA Approval Here's What Dermatologists Think - Allure - April 18th, 2022
- The Eye Health Tips You Need to Know for a Lifetime of Sharp Vision - Prevention Magazine - April 18th, 2022
- Plastic surgeons name BTS's V as the top celebrity that male patients want to look like - allkpop - April 18th, 2022
- Cancer: Itchy eyelid could be a sign of eye cancer - sufferers first noticeable symptom - Express - April 5th, 2022
- I splashed 800 to tackle my droopy eyelids but my face BALLOONED my son couldnt even look at me... - The US Sun - April 5th, 2022
- Computer vision syndrome, mask-associated dry eye & more with David Aizuss, MD - American Medical Association - April 5th, 2022
- My glass is definitely full Douglas Dr. Doug Heath, a beloved DJ, never stopped preaching the power of positive thinking - San Antonio Express-News - April 5th, 2022
- Tha Invests Further In UK With Latest Dry Eye Launch - HBW Insight - April 5th, 2022
- Slit Lamps Market: Increasing risk of cataracts among the diabetic population tp drive the market - BioSpace - April 5th, 2022
- How to Look Younger and Age Gracefully, According to Experts - Anti-Aging Tips - Prevention Magazine - April 5th, 2022
- How long is the laser eye surgery recovery time? - OCL Vision - March 25th, 2022
- What Eyedrops Are Best to Use After Cataract Surgery ... - March 25th, 2022
- Management of Severe Multifactorial Eyelid Ectropion With Lateral Tarsal Strip Procedure and Full-Thickness Skin Graft - Cureus - March 25th, 2022
- Beverly Hills MD announces the "Beverly Hills MD Flawless Eyes Collection" featuring Thick + Full Brow Enhancing Serum - PR Newswire - March 25th, 2022
- The 7 Biggest Plastic Surgery Trends of 2022 | Plastic Surgeons Predict the Most Popular Procedures - Allure - January 21st, 2022
- Eyelid Surgery, Botox and Fillers in Boston by Dr. Mitesh ... - January 21st, 2022
- Eye cancers blink and you'll miss them - Deniliquin Pastoral Times - January 21st, 2022
- AffaMed Therapeutics, licensee of DEXTENZA in Certain Asian Markets, Doses Their First Patient in Clinical Trial Evaluating the Safety and Efficacy of... - January 21st, 2022
- Global Cosmetic Surgical Surgery and Procedure Market Size 2021 Trend and Opportunities Discovery Sports Media - Discovery Sports Media - January 21st, 2022
- Mum's charity challenge after toddler's lazy eye turned out to be brain tumour - The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald - January 21st, 2022
- Fixing Upper Eyelid Surgery Gone Wrong | Botched Upper ... - January 7th, 2022
- How to Fix a Droopy Eyelid without Surgery - 7 steps - January 7th, 2022
- Ophthalmic trauma: the top 100 cited articles in Ophthalmology journals | Eye - Nature.com - January 7th, 2022
- Pepper Pikes three newest council members take oath of office, are excited to get to work - cleveland.com - January 7th, 2022
- Botox Is More Popular Than Ever. Heres What You Should Know Before You Get It. - Robb Report - December 25th, 2021
- How to manage your eyelid bags: home remedies and surgery - Spire Healthcare - December 25th, 2021
- Spaceflight leads to brow elevation without affecting eyelid position: Study - Medical Dialogues - December 12th, 2021
- Innovative sleeping bag for the treatment of "squashed ice" syndrome associated with space travel - Amico Hoops - December 12th, 2021
- Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) - Better Health Channel - November 10th, 2021
- Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery Before And After Photos ... - November 10th, 2021
- Home - Walton Eye Care - November 10th, 2021
- 53 Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures In Korea ... - November 10th, 2021
- Ocular Therapeutix Announces Success in Patent Appeal Brought by Mati Therapeutics, Inc. - Yahoo Finance - November 10th, 2021
- Your Jaw Is Going To Drop When You See Selena Gomezs Face Transformation - SheFinds - November 10th, 2021
- Your Jaw Is Going To Drop When You See Adeles Real Face - SheFinds - November 10th, 2021
- Column: The basics of plastic surgery | South Lake Tahoe - SouthTahoeNow.com - South Tahoe Now - November 10th, 2021
- Opioid Analgesics Sales to Grow by 1.7X through 2031 as the Demand for Post-Surgery Pain Management Continues to Rise: Future Market Insights - Yahoo... - October 30th, 2021
- Aesthetic plastic surgery practice offers the first and only FDA-approved injectable for cellulite - UpperMichigansSource.com - October 30th, 2021
- HIV retinopathy: Causes, symptoms, and more - Medical News Today - October 30th, 2021
- Anti Aging Products and Therapies Market 2021 Industry Analysis, Opportunity, Segmentation and Forecast to 2027 The Host - The Host - October 30th, 2021
- Wayne Linekers club sued by Love Island's Theo Campbell over champagne cork injury - The Mirror - October 30th, 2021
- Washington Woman Warns that Halloween Contact Lenses Almost Left Her Blind: 'a Nightmare' - PEOPLE - October 30th, 2021
- ASK AN OPHTHALMOLOGIST | EXPERT ADVICE - MAG THE WEEKLY - Mag The Weekly Magazine - October 18th, 2021
- Weve spent tens of thousands on surgery can you guess what weve had done and whose nip and tucks cost t... - The Sun - October 18th, 2021
- Frankel opens facial plastic surgery office in Mayfield Heights - Cleveland Jewish News - October 18th, 2021
- My face was MUMMIFIED after irreversible beauty treatment then my boyfriend DUMPED me as I look ancient... - The US Sun - October 18th, 2021
- Joan Collins sounds off on the Kardashians: 'There's an awful lot of surgery there' - Yahoo Life - October 6th, 2021
- Non-invasive eye surgery procedures to improve eyesight - Digital Journal - October 6th, 2021
- Dealing with dry eye in Arizona - KGUN - October 6th, 2021
- What is Rosacea? Experts Explain the Signs and Triggers - Prevention.com - October 6th, 2021
- Overproduction of tears and blocked ducts The major cause of Eye-watering says Dr. Aparna Ayyagari - APN News - October 6th, 2021
- Julia Morris just got an eyelid lift. Here's everything you need to know about the procedure. - Mamamia - September 2nd, 2021
- 3 Skincare Treatments Everyone is Talking About - StyleBlueprint - September 2nd, 2021
- Everyone Is Talking About This Viral Eye Cream for Bags - As Seen on TikTok - Newsweek - September 2nd, 2021
- Everything you need to know about botox - Times of India - September 2nd, 2021
- Exercises for droopy eyelids: What are they, and do they work? - Medical News Today - September 2nd, 2021
- Revance Announces Publication of Results on Static Glabellar Lines With Repeated Treatment of DaxibotulinumtoxinA for Injection From the SAKURA... - September 2nd, 2021
- Near Infrared Medical Imaging Market What Factors will drive the Market in Upcoming Years and How it is Going to Impact on Global Industry The... - August 21st, 2021
- Debris and Shrapnel Eye Injuries After Massive Beirut Explosion - MedPage Today - August 8th, 2021
- Ajaipal Kang, M.D.: What to know and do before having cosmetic surgery - GoErie.com - August 8th, 2021
- Global Single Use Ophthalmic Surgical Devices Market 2021 Growth, Latest Trend Analysis and Forecast 2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 24th, 2021
- Just a Little Prick: The Rise in Non-Invasive Male Cosmetic Procedures In an uncertain world - Men's health UK - July 24th, 2021
- Johnson & Johnson Vision Presents Scientific Data Validating Improved Surgical Outcomes With Latest Cataract Innovations And Legacy MGD Treatment... - July 24th, 2021
- Big Plastic Surgery Increase from 2015 to 2019 Underscores Normalization of Aesthetic Enhancements, says Beverly Hills Physicians - WFMZ Allentown - July 24th, 2021
- Dry eyes and floaters: Causes, treatment, and seeking help - Medical News Today - July 24th, 2021
- Did Joel Osteen get plastic surgery? Pastor once confirmed he wants to 'look good' - MEAWW - July 24th, 2021
- Admitting to myself Im losing my vision has been hard. Admitting it to other people has been harder - The Globe and Mail - July 24th, 2021
- Protect eyes at higher elevation | SteamboatToday.com - Steamboat Pilot and Today - July 9th, 2021
- How To Ensure You Stay On Top Of Your Wellness Game Even At Home - Femina - July 9th, 2021
- Having These 3 Facial Features Gets You Ahead At Work, Says Study - YourTango - July 9th, 2021
- Firefighter who had the worlds most extensive face transplant says hed run into the blaze again five yea... - The US Sun - July 9th, 2021
- Yes, Eyebrow Dandruff Is RealHere's How to Treat It The Healthy - msnNOW - July 9th, 2021